Cannot open .eml attachments

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Opening e-mail attachments: Email Attachment Problems: Cannot open .eml attachments
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Erma on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

I get some mail from a certain person with .eml extension but cannot open. I doubleclick on the attachment and get the download screen, which then proceeds to do its' job, but when I try to open the attachment I get a repeat of the same action and can never open these attachments. I can open other attachments from other people but they usually have a different extension. I am using windows 98 with outlook express. Any suggestions? Thanks, This Forum is always a great help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

This is what http://www.filext.com says about .eml files:

.EML files are used by other E-mail clients as well as Outlook Express. Note: .EML files with "funny" names in multiple folders implies the Nimda worm. OE removes access to attachments using this file extension. However, using forward on the tool bar in OE the attachment shows as an envelope that if clicked opens the attachment (use caution if you do this, it could be a worm).

See part 2 of this post ...!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

If the extension you are looking for is of the form .??_ the file is likely a compressed file and part of an install routine. When the install program runs it will expand the file and replace the underscore with the proper letter for the file type.

If the file is sent as an audio file with any three-character extension it may be a dictation file where the extension is the dictator's initials; playable by BCB Voice Systems software (see ??? extension). The file could likewise be a dictation file in TrueSpeech format. Use Windows Sound Recorder and/or Media Player to play these back.

If the extension you are looking for has a number at the end or is only a number and there were no results consider entering the same extension format using zero or one as some programs produce numbered split files but when the split can be extensive (e.g., .000-.999) only the first entry is in the database.

Hope this helps,
Dianne R

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page