Accessing "archived" e-mails

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Accessing "archived" e-mails
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ellen Lentz on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 10:37 pm:

How do I access my e-mails that have been archived? I've found the files, but the system will not allow me to load them in to read. I am running Windows ME. Any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

Is you email client Outlook Express?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ellen Lentz on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 05:57 am:

No, I'm using Microsoft Outlook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:08 pm:

This is a bit strange. Which version of Outlook are you using.

Have you installed Norton Antivirus or a similiar program since you archived those files.

Also, do you get an error message, and if so, can you copy it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ellen Lentz on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

Perhaps I'm trying to open the wrong file. The file I'm trying to access is "C\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archives.pst"
I can't find the version no. of Outlook but we've had Windows ME for about 2 or 3 years.
We are using McAfee Antivirus programs but again it seems like we've had them for a long time. I have hard copies of e-mails dating back to 1997 but the system archives them every so often and I can now access only those since 4-4-02.
Please see next Message. It was too long to post all at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ellen Lentz on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

When I click on the file I get a warning as follows:
"You are trying to open a file of type "Office Data File (pst.)
These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system.
If you still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise, click Cancel."
My e-mail files from 1997 are saved on this system and if I could figure out how to access the current archives, I'm hoping to access them also. At that time I was using the free copy of Eudora.
I'll be glad to furnish you any more data you might need to help me get to these files. I have looked at them with "Drag and View", but it doesn't translate them, only gives me the data in Hex, etc.
I really appreciate your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

Since I do not know what Outlook version you are using, I just guessed it might be 2000.

Check out the link below and let us know if it helps you. If the instructions don't match what you are seeing on your system, we'll need to dig out your version number and look again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303337&Product=out2K

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ellen Lentz on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

Thank you for your advice. It seems that I have to specify a file in advance to save my e-mails to, also it won't save inbox messages. I guess I'm just out of luck but thank you anyway.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page