Somebody hack my email address

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Somebody hack my email address
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By caraloca on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 05:58 am:

Hi, I just received an email from Nicolas Olivia but her email address is the same as mine.
How can they do that?
I have a pop 3 account from my internet service provider.
What can I do? I was going to block it because it is only disgusting (xxx) spam but I noticed the sender and I realize that I can not block it because the sender address is mine and sometimes I sent emails from my home to myself at the same address.
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:04 am:

Many Trojans out there harvest email addresses from the address books of systems that they infect. Obviously, someone who has your address in their address book is infected. Since you have opened the emails, you might be, as well.

I suggest that you go to the link below and post this same issue:

http://www.techsupportforums.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Pamela Butler on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 05:26 am:

What I was advised to do was to add a false email address to the top of my address book along the lines of !!!000111@aabbcc111.com (the exclamation marks ensure that it is the first in your address book).

Apparently the virus/worm reads from the first email down, and since the first email is not a real email address, it cannot go any further.

I have had no further trouble since I have done this and hope it helps you too.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page