Confused about making a sig file with Netscape

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Confused about making a sig file with Netscape
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 08:54 pm:

Hi,

I'd like to make a sig file, but after playing around for a few hours, I've gotten nowhere. I
have Netscape. They've recently upgraded and it's confusing on the instructions. (I'll never be a techie!) It used to be fairly easy, I thought, with the old instructions.) All I can understand (this may be wrong!)is that I have to make a text file in MS Word, name it, go back to email, hit edit, identity, and place that text file in the sig file spot. Is that right? How do I get that text file (my sig file) transferred to the sig file in "email" file? I know The Newbie Club uses
IE. Argh!

Thanks for any help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 02:26 pm:

Hi,

I just found the answer to my question about
creating a sig file with netscape! It is as follows in case anyone else wants to know.

MOST BROWSERS HAVE A SIG FILE FEATURE

Netscape Communicator instructions:
~ First you must create the sig file as a text file (Note Pad is excellent for this). For an example, you might call it mysig.txt.
~ Then choose EDIT from the Taskbar (options on top of the browser page) and click on Preferences.
~ Then choose Mail & Groups, then choose Identity.
~ There you will find a box that you can enter the
location of your sig file. It has to be the exact
location on your hard drive. Probably something like C:\WINDOWS\mysig.txt or C:\mydocuments\mysig.txt or whatever you name your signature file.

I just happened to find this today at
OYESUCAN.com in their Bravenet forum.

If it doesn't work, I'll be back.

Best,

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

Hi,

I made my sig file with Notepad. But I have two
hypens "--" right above it. It looks like this:

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've redone the file many times from scratch, but
those two -- won't go away! It doesn't show in
Notepad. Only in my email.

Any ideas on how to remove them would be much
appreciated.

Thanks.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 12:09 am:

Mary, aren't you using Netscape? I am not too familiar with it, but I am guessing that it puts the dashes in by default to show where your signature begins.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 05:24 pm:

Anybody have an idea why my Netscape 4.78 e-mails get received on the other end with the text in the body of the letter with short lines alternating with longer lines? I use Win ME.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ruth on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:23 am:

That is probably because the person at the other end has set their email lines to a shorter length than you use. It's a number of characters spaces in a line.

A lot of people have theirs set by default to 65 characters, but some set theirs to 70 or 80, and still others to 55.

To get around that broken line effect, where part of the original line drops to the next line, I set my emails to 55. That way anyone getting my emails is less likely to run into that problem.
(Mind you, then I keep reading broken lines in other's emails and ezines; so who wins?) :)

Ruth
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
When you meet Ruthe and her Friend - You've got Friends!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page