AOL email abuse

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: AOL email abuse
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

Since switching to AOL, my father has been having trouble with abusive emails. AOL have given him a "work-around" which means that he can only receive emails from people who are in his address book.

I didn't realise until recently that AOL is a complete interface, unlike my isp. Can he use any email program, or is the email a fixed part of the AOL interface? I use Eudora 5, with the moodwatch option which scans emails for language, content, etc.

Can any other AOL users give advice on this?
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sis2blu32 on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:14 am:

Hi,i have AOL6.0 but I also have a hotmail acct
I'v used yahoo and outlook express in the past so I'm sure he can also
But has he tried to block the abusive E-mailers
address

hope this helps
sis2blu32@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Colleen West on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 07:53 am:

Hi: I have Zwallet.com and get my junk mail there plus get paid to read it. It isn't too bad just time consuming. I have aol.6 and I am getting tired of it but all my business cards have that email address and it would be difficult to change at this time. I get kicked off all the time.
such is life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Capt on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 04:25 am:

dreuby Hi
I used AOL for my 1st year and found it to be
too inflexible and constraining.
One of my specific beefs was having them cut me
off in the middle of reading an incoming email.

The best thing about them for me was the tech help. It was readily available to me 24/7/365.

I have used both hotmail.com and yahoo.com for
incoming mail...still do.

The costs for AOL ?? I pay an ISP 45.00
a quarter and get good service. I have had
4 , maybe 5 hosts other than AOL and am about
to switch to the Newbie Club hosting service.
...about $17.00/mo. I've been looking at it and
asking about it for a couple months and can't
find anything particularly negative.

I don't know what your father wants but maybe
this rambling will be some help to him.
Keep grinin "Capt"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:38 pm:

It is advisable to report all abuse back
to the provider (not the sender), and
request that the person be deleted
due to spam, abuse, etc. They need
message information in as much detail as
possible. I can't explain how that's done
because I'm a newbie, but maybe someone else
is gifted.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page