Disappearing emails in Eudora 5.1

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Disappearing emails in Eudora 5.1
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 07:55 am:

I have two e-mail accounts with my ISP, dreuby and pramclub. I have set up two personalities (dominant and pramclub) and filters to
filter in-coming mail. These have been working OK for about a year. I
upgraded to 5.1 when it was released, and it's been working fine.

A friend called a couple of days ago and told me an e-mail to my pramclub
account had bounced. I sent a test, which I received OK, so I put it down
to a typo on his part.

A couple of days later, when downloading, my Task bar displayed "Downloading pramclub 1
messages(s) Downloading dominant 22 messages(s)" with the blue status bars,
followed by the "filter" box. The pramclub message didn't appear in the
in-box, I've checked my other mailboxes, and looked in Windows Explorer for
any files, but I can't find that message!

Today it happened again - 2 messages for my pramclub account downloaded, but nothing in any of my in trays!

I'm running Win98SE, and I have a virus checker for incoming mail
/downloaded files, and hard drive scans, so I'm fairly sure my system is clean.

I've contacted Eudora, but their answer was totally unrelated to my problem!

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 02:35 pm:

Hey Dreuby,

I have never used Eudora, so I am not totally knowledgable with it. However, I am following along with what you are saying. I don't think it is a virus problem, more likely, some file for the email filter has gotten currupted in some way.

I would try removing the account (or the filter) whichever you have setup for the Pramclub email address. If it is an email account that forwards to dreuby (not a true POP account), then delete the filter, send pramclub a couple test messages, and make sure they go into your inbox. Then, re-setup the filter and test again.

If you are actually reading mail from that email account (as a POP account), then you need to delete the account from your Eudora application. If you have saved messages, I am not sure if it will take those out with it, so you may want to save them elsewhere first. Then, re-setup the account, send yourself test messages and see if it works.

You should be able to remove the account/filter and resetup and that should help clear up whatever is causing the disappearing mail.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

Thanks Josh - I've deleted all my filters, and recreated just two that I really want, so I'll see what happens. trouble is, it seems to be OK sometimes!

I hope I didn't lose one of those important e-mails offering a chance to earn $millions by sending $1 to everyone on the list ... !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 10:24 am:

No - I lost another one today! I did find an article in Eudora help database, so I've tried everything there, apart from two things that are totally incomprehensible. So now I'm going to back up my mailboxes, and re-install. I needed to move it off my C: drive anyway ...

If you never hear from me again, you know why ...!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 06:04 pm:

well shoot... hope one of the methods you try will solve the problem.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 10:43 am:

I've downloaded a later version of Eudora (do you think they released it just for me?) - and I've found one answer to my problem. I downloaded mail, got one for pramclub which wasn't there, and because I haven't copied over my old mail, I only had a few to look through. It was an ad, with my email in the Bcc field - so poor old Eudora put it in my ordinary In box (my filter just tells it to put anything with "pramclub" in the To: field in Pramclub In box). So maybe I've just been losing ads anyway, in which case they could sell it as a system enhancement!

Thanks for all the advice (and sympathy!) - and I've got lots more space on my C: drive now!

Dianne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 12:57 am:

AHA! ... don't you love it when you discover things like that? One day at my job, I had setup a filter in Outlook to figure something out for another computer, and I forgot to remove it. So for about 3 weeks, I couldn't figure out why some of my mail was going into my deleted box.

Computers are great because they do what you tell them, which is also why they are terrible.

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page