Opening e-mail attachments

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Opening e-mail attachments
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Email attachment  1   01/20 04:27am
Email Attachment Problems  7   01/03 12:38am
Oper. Sys. upgrade  2   06/23 10:45am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frances on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 05:15 am:

I have Windows 98, use Internet Explorer, and get my e-mail through Microsoft Outlook Web Access (for Microsoft Exchange Server).

I've been unable to open any e-mail attachments. (I save them to disc, as suggested.) The error message shown is "The attachment is a type that is not yet supported".

Also, I can send an attachment with an e-mail and the recipient gets it OK and is able to read it OK. But if I try to access the copy of the attachment in the Sent file, I get a message that says something like "Cannot read. The attachment is empty". Could this be part of the same problem?

Anyone know what is happening here? Would appreciate any help in resolving this. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 09:45 am:

Frances
Hmm. Tricky one. I don't know what you mean by Microsoft Outlook Web Access, but here's what I suspect is happening.

When you receive an e-mail with an attachment and then save it to disk, you are altering the path to the file. But because you're not saving it in Outlook Web Access, you haven't "told" Outlook about the new location and the path to it - so if you then try and open it from Outlook, it can't find it. Try opening the attachment before saving it. It will open in the relevant program and you should save it from there.

The second one is probably the way you've configured Outlook. Have a very close look at your configuration under Tools/Options or run a help query on Attachments.

It could also be that if Web Access is a web-based e-mail account, your account does not allow you to save attachments in the sent file.

Just remembered something. After the Love Bug virus, Microsoft decided to take a very heavy-handed approach to security. They issued a patch for Outlook which, once installed, stripped various file types from incoming e-mail without telling you. The file types affected were those with the extension .vbs,.exe and (possibly) .doc and .xls. The reason these were selected is because they can all have worms or viruses (virii) embedded in them. I forgot about it because I didn't install it.

I can imagine that this is a very annoying problem, so if any of the above doesn't help, re-post giving all the information you can possibly think of (and I do mean all), and I'll have a crack at it.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JAMES BAKER on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 09:30 pm:

Hi Jamie. Using IE5 I had the same problem but found if I just click on outlook express and download the emails to my computer then I can either open the email attachments or save them to disk, scan for virus and then display them. My ISP doesn't support some of the file types and I suspect this is your problem also. james@bbnp.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JAMES BAKER on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 09:44 pm:

Hi Frances, Continuing above thread I use Microsoft Outlook Webb Access to view my emails at my ISP and read and delete unwanted messages. Then open Outlook Express (free with IE5) and save the messages with attachments that my ISP doesn't support. Then you can save or delete as needed. james

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frances on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 01:11 am:

Thanks, Jamie & James. You've both been really helpful (sorry for the delay in replying - we've been away).

Looks as if my ISP works the same way as the one James has. I've been able to view my attachments with Outlook Express, but I've learned I can't send e-mail from it. The message I get when I try is something like "Forwarding prohibited". (I can send emails through Microsoft Web Access, though.)

Thanks again. The Newbie Club is truly a wonderful resource and I sure appreciate your helpful advice.

Frances

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JAMES BAKER on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:29 pm:

Hi Frances,
Open Outlook Express, click on tools and from the dropdown menu click on options. Then on the new window that opens click on send and your can set options for sending your mail using Outlook Express. You can set security and lots of other options. Just be careful and you should be fine. james@bbnp.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 03:38 am:

I have Windows ME. I use Outlook Express for my
e-mail. When I get a forward from Florida, all I
get is the address of the sender and anything that
the sender has typed on top. The rest is blank.
Forwards sent from here in Canada are fine. Letters from Florida also come in fine. Can anyone
give me any ideas about what is going wrong? I had Netscape before, and got all forwards just fine. ..............Lena

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sandra on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:05 pm:

Hi...Can anyone tell me how to send a file in Outlook Express, but not as an attachment? I don't open attachments myself, so I don't want to send one to someone else. I have Win XP and the file is stored on my desktop as a shortcut. I have tried the 'Option' button, but there is no 'Forward' on it.I' ve tried dragging it to the open message, but it always becomes an attachment.
Appreciate any help..thanks. Sandra

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave_Cat on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 08:28 pm:

To be able to open attachments. GO To Tools on the tool bar.
GO to options
Go to security
uncheck the box next to
" Do not allow attatchments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus."
Click ok
Vala
You can now open those attatchments.
( BE CARFUL )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 06:12 pm:

Now,my bigger problem:I have 2 friends that send me a lot of mail,mostly forwards,& always contain paper clips.Sometimes I have to go through as many as 5 clips to get to the main piece of mail!
I sent a note to one of them about a year ago,saying that there should be a way for her to send from the main open piece,(I can),but she wrote back saying she couldn't.Are there really mail programs out there that work that way? It takes me forever to read their mail cuz I always send it to my desktop where I scan with AVG,(love it!),then have to go thru umpteen clips. I don't want to be rude & tell them to take me off their lists but just can't spend soooo much time on this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanx, Cher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 06:22 pm:

oops, my 1st one was too big so here's the first part of the above post.
I just recently started using Outlook Express 5,had been using Incredimail,& now when I open attachments they open in Incredimail.I don't want IM open but don't know which program to choose from in the "open with" list to get them to open in OLE.
By the way I have Windows ME and IE 5.
Thanx,Cher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:15 am:

There should be somewhere in OE, I think, that lets you set it as the default email program. Though it should be on your "open with" list - I'm surprised if it isn't. But I don't use OE, so I'm no expert here! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zaarnak on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:07 pm:

Anybody know a way to open graphics which are in attachments sent by AOL users? I have 2 AOLers who send messages - ALL as attachments! - but which appear to me as blank...I must go into the message source to read any text - BUT, that does NOT help with the graphics; all I see is a large block of code. I use Win98SE/IE6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Noel on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 06:26 am:

I am not being able to open attatchments in MS Web access 2003. What should I do?
My system runs on XP.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page