Email receipts/"confirm.to" HELP!

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Email receipts/"confirm.to" HELP!
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

Long story short, I have rec'd an email from someone that I don't particularly care for and I would rather not let him know that I exist (in email land). This is from someone that was from my CHILDHOOD and he was weird then and I gather he's still the same. I think he found my email through classmates.com and I haven't replied to them-just deleted them. (he didn't even go to my school!) Classmates told me that they don't give out the address unless I respond to the initial email. I didn't, I cancelled it. Anyway, an email came today from him that has the word "Testing" in the subject line (YAHOO) and I'm thinking it's got a "read receipt" attached to it. If I just delete it, will there still be some sort of receipt ret'd to him, or does it only work if I actually open it? I would rather he think that the email address he's working with just isn't checked by me anymore. I'm very serious about this, and hope someone can help me. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

Hi,
My e-mail prog (Eudora) actually asks when it wants to send a "message rec'd" reply.

You could make sure you're off-line before deleting it, so even if it tries, your e-mail can't send anything.

I've downloaded a "pretend bounce" program that I haven't tried yet - it sends a bounce message to give the impression that e-mail doesn't exist. I got it from a freeware site, the link in the docs is http://ay.home.ml.org/

All the best on this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

As far as confirm.to works, they cannot know that you have read the email if you delete it without ever opening it.

This is how the system works:
When you send the email to john@doe.com.confirm.to, it sends the mail to the confirm.to system. That system automatically attaches an image which is 1pixel by 1 pixel. The system then forwards the edited email to john@doe.com.

When John opens the email, the 1x1 image gets "called" from the confirm.to site. This tells them that since the image has been displayed, the email has been read. Their system then forwards a reciept to the sender's address confirming the reading of the mail message.

Therefore, if you never open the message, the image will never be displayed, and your strange friend will never know the difference.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 11:54 pm:

Thank you for the info. My sister and I tested the confirm.to w/2 emails yesterday...one opened by her and one just deleted w/o opening. I only rec'd the confirm. on the one she opened. So, I'm deleting the msgs and keeping a record just in case he keeps this up. I'm just hoping there's no technology that shows when you delete something!! I got another one today that has "Just wanted to say hello" in the subject line. Hopefully he doesn't just start sending emails w/his msgs in the subject line! argh... W/O telling you the whole story-this guy was (in my youth) what TODAY is known as a stalker. No violence, just peepingtom/phonecalls, weird stuff like that. Never thought I'd hear from him, especially via the web, so imagine what I'm feeling right now. Very shocked and don't want to use the web anymore. Well, thanks again. You are great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:28 am:

Hi Anon,

Try joining the MSN.co.uk Communities and look for Parents Forum. This is at present a small site but they MAY be able to help you track down this nasty and sort him out once and for all. No promises, but its worth a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

Thank you. I will look into that. I'm in America, does that matter? I'm not sure if I want to track him down anyway. I'd rather he just think that that email address isn't used by me anymore. But if it comes down to it, I suppose I will just have to tell him to bug off or else my dh will take care of him! Off to figure out this MSN.co.uk site. Thanks again. Anon.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page