Retrieving my e-mail from someone else's computer

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Email question: Retrieving my e-mail from someone else's computer
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sylvia Fulmer on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 01:05 am:

What must I do to retrieve my e-mail from a computer other than my own? (When I am visiting relatives out of state, for example.) Thanks for the thorough answer I'm sure to receive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 01:34 am:

Hi Sylvia, This would depend on several things. Is your email web based (aol,hotmail,msn,etc..)? or do you use outlook express( or some other email app), either way, using a web based email and utilizing it to forward your mail to it would be easiest. Let us know which email app you have and we can go from there. Have a great day!! glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sylvia Fulmer on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 01:48 am:

Hi, Glenn. HELP! I really am more of a Newbie than I thought. Here's what I can tell you that may help you help me. My address ends in
ne.infi.com (but I pay earthlink). I have Outlook Express on my computer. Is that info what you need? Thanks for working with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 04:13 am:

Sylvia, Hi again :-)..yes, thats what I needed. Your email comes from your isp. In my opinion, this would be your easiest way to get from "point A to point B". Go to ** www.msn.com **look about a third of the way down and click on "hotmail" ( I'm saying hotmail because I've found it to be the easiest web based email to use). Sign up for a hotmail account ( it's free ) once youve done this, read the help section thats on the hotmail homepage. you can set up hotmail to "forward" your pop3 mail (what you have) to your hotmail account. then all you need is a p.c. to get on the net, go to hotmail..and theres your mail! this is a little involved, so once you get your hotmail account, let me know and Ill help you through it. Have a great day!!
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sylvia Fulmer on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 01:55 am:

Hey there, Glenn. You are a God-send. I did just as you suggested. (Nervous as a cat. Scared I'd do something wrong.) I think I have entered correct info in signing up for forwarding. Now what steps would I follow to get my messages? Many, many thanks for your help. "Scaredy Cat" Sylvia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

Good morning Sylvia :-)..First, don't be scared, very few things on the web can't be "undone"!
If I'm reading your post right, you've already signed up for retrieval (sorry, I called it forwarding)if so, your all set. just sign in to hotmail and your messages should be there.By the way, I recommend checking "leave messages on pop server". This will leave a copy of all your messages on your out/express for easier filing later. If you need anymore help, feel free to email me. This particular question I can answer easier by email. Have a great day!! Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sylvia on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 01:50 am:

Glenn, I am truly grateful for your thorough, easy-to-understand directions. One clarification, please re: "leave messages on pop server." I saw that option when I signed up but didn't check it. Will it be possible to do that right now? If I'm asking too much of you to answer, I'll understand. Just be aware that I am indeed grateful for your help thus far. Thanks and more thanks. Sylvia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

Hi Sylvia :-)..sure you can!! While your in your inbox, go up to "options" (right next to address book)click there. go to "pop mail retrieval settings" and click there. your settings are there, check off "leave mail on pop3 server" and your done!Be sure and check your mail at least once every 30 days or hotmail will close the account.And, your not asking too much...I'm here to help when i can!...:-). Have a great day, Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 05:35 pm:

Sylvia, as an afterthought. If you have relatives out of town and they are on the net, check out msn messenger. download it and have them download it. You will be able to "chat" to each other real time, saves on long distance if you just want to say HI!...just a thought!..Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ellen Lentz on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:23 am:

You can also go to www.mail2web.com, enter your e-mail address and password, and you will have access to the e-mails that you haven't downloaded yet. I found this back in 1998 and it still works.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page