Saving email to floppy ?

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Saving email to floppy ?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Questions about printing emails  2   03/31 05:46am
Transfering emails and settings  3   10/06 12:45pm
My Downloads won't open EXCEPT the Newbieclubs?  1   08/28 03:05pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 07:00 am:

I have outlook express 5. My mail comes in and I put it into separate folders created by me.Can I save that email to a floppy,without having to do it with each email?I want to be able to drag a folder to my desktop and save to floppy. I haven't found out how to do this or even IF I can.I look in WindowsExplorer and it shows outlook express,but not the mail folders. Can anyone help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JAMES BAKER on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:16 pm:

Hi CJ, The simplest way I have found to save emails to a floppy is open the folder displaying all messages in that folder. Then open a floppy window. Hold the shift key and highlight all messages and drag them over to the folder in your floppy.

Easier way is to save them directly to a folder on your desktop using the save as command when viewing the emails. Then you can work with them as regular files. Hope this helps, james@bbnp.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 11:24 pm:

Hey JB, Thanks alot. I will try this and if it works I will owe you a big cuppa ? or a tall glass. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JAMES BAKER on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 02:27 am:

Hi CJ, Having that cup right now thanks. james

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:06 am:

Hi James,
I finally found some time and some nerve LOL to try your suggestion and I couldn't get it to work.
I displayed all my email messages, then opened a floppy window,held down the shift key and highlighted all messages and tried draging them to the folder in my floppy.
The trouble is I could only drag one at a time and each time the message would come up that the folder already contained email of that name(because it was RE: so on and on, etc.)
I have about 2000 email total in about 3-4 folders(all together) that I need to save to floppy and I can't do it one email at a time.
Do you or anyone else know a way that I can accomplish this?

I really appreciate the help here at this site and wish everyone a great week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 08:59 pm:

Hi again, I was able to go into 'find' and locate the email folders that I want to save. I was able to drag them to my desktop. They are called DBX files. Now they are sitting on my desktop and they wont go on a disk because it says they are too large for my 1.44 MB disks. Did I make a boo boo in dragging them out there and are there any suggestions anyone has as to how to proceed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 10:01 am:

Re: Moving e-mail from Outlook Express to floppy;

Well, I'm going to give this a shot.
Note: Proceed with caution, go slow.

Here's the procedure;
Open windows explorer, click the +sign next to the Windows folder, click the + sign next to the "Application data" folder, click the +sign next to the "Identities" folder, click the +sign next to the folder that has "{CA3A15C0-F2D0-11D3-A04D-821E64608C6D}" The folder may not have that exactly on it but if you find the right one it will contain a folder named "Microsoft". Thats the folder you are looking for.

Now then, if you click on the folder named "Microsoft" you should see a folder named "Outlook express" in the right hand screen.

If you see this folder, you can RIGHT click on it and while holding the RIGHT mouse button down, drag it over to your floppy drive and when you letup on the button select COPY and it should take it.

You can right click on the folder, select properties and check the size of the files in bytes. If the size is larger than 1.44meg then;

Open the folder named "Outlook Express" so the files are visible individually in the right screen, you can then copy the .DBX files (which are your folders actually) one at a time to a floppy disk.
NOTE: Before you can open them again, create a new folder in Outlook Express and copy the files from the floppy to your NEW folder using the procedure above kinda in reverse...

Be careful, go slow, make a couple of practice runs, you'll get it done.

Catchup

I'm setting up a new hosting service at
http://hosting.waynesworlds.com
check it out, it's not done yet but, if anyone wants some far out hosting at prices you won't believe let me know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 01:01 am:

Hi,
As I said above the DBX files are already on my desktop.(and it was a way shorter process than you just discribed.)

Now...If I click on them, they open in notepad, with all those little squares and stuff and they are hard to read. I don't want to put them onto floppy's looking like that.

Is there any way to make them open looking like email( which they are) ?

Also I can't do anything with these ONE AT A TIME as there are about 2000 of them.

Thanks for the suggestions and cautions, Catchup...I appreciate it.

Are we supposed to advert here?I don't think so......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 07:22 am:

CJ:
You can only read the email files (DBX) from within Outlook Express.

You can put them back into Outlook using windows exporer.

If you put them on floppies, you can open them but you have to
1) put them back into Outlook,
2) "Associate" them with Outlook with the "Open With" function in your popup menu.
Hold the "Shift" key down while you right click on the file.

If you notice, each one of the DBX files has the name of the folder in Outlook express that they came out of.

That is what I meant by moving them one at a time. Move one folder at a time.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 04:24 pm:

Catchup...
You are terrific!
Thank you very much for being so helpful!
CJ :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 05:52 pm:

Hi,

I am a writer so I have some of my stuff saved as .doc files. Wouldn't I save .doc files to a floppy the same way?

Thanks everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 07:29 am:

CJ:

It doesn't matter what kind of file you are saving to floppy, save it with the extesion that it has and open it with the program that you created it with, look HERE for more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous Gramma on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 02:22 pm:

I opened a folder (ie: sent items) selected all then dragged it to a folder on my desktop.
I then copied to a disc.
When I open the folder, the one I just copied to my desktop, all the subjects are there on the individual files, the ones with no subjuects have numbers.
I guess it's good to put subjects on all your e-mails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gudrun Schindler on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 09:08 pm:

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I copied e-mails do a CD, now I want to read them and I can't. I have associated them with Outlook Express in the "Open with" dialog box and nothing at all happens. I have dragged them back into an e-mail folder within Outlook Express (using Explorer), but when I go to Outlook Express, they're not there. What am I doing wrong???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By utw2c3w@yahoo.com on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 06:37 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page