Email question

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Email question
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Retrieving my e-mail from someone else's computer  10   10/15 03:23am
Eliminate Spam E-mail  2   05/05 03:35pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 05:37 pm:

I have outlook express 5. My mail comes in and I put it into separate folders created by me.Can I save that email to a floppy,without having to do it with each email?I want to be able to drag a folder to my desktop and save to floppy. I haven't found out how to do this or even IF I can.I look in WindowsExplorer and it shows outlook express,but not the mail folders. Can anyone help?
CJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 05:42 am:

CJ:
Well, I'll attempt this...

First, open Outlook express, right click on the folder that you want to work with, click on properties, this will tell you the location of the folder on your hard drive. Not knowing how you have configured Outlook this is the only way I can find your folder. It should be in Windows, Application Data, Identities,,,,

Now open windows explorer and find the folder and the file that matches your e-mail folder, with this file in the right hand pane of windows explorer right click on it and drag it onto Drive 'A' or where ever you want to copy it to. be sure to click "Copy" not "Move".

When you want to read the file you will have to reverse the procedure. You can only read the file with Outlook Express, OK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 11:55 pm:

Hi,What I want/need to do is save abour 2000 emails to a floppy....without doing it one email at a time. I look in windows explorer/find my C drive/locate outlook express and there are no email folders in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:00 am:

CJ,
I too use OE and here is where it says my folders are stored: C:\windows\allusers\save.dbx (save is what I named the folder)I opened Windows Explorer and it takes you there, by scrolling down to "Windows", click on the +,scroll to "All users",click on "All users" then look in the right hand window (mine was clear at the bottom of the page) right click on your folder and it gives you the option to "send to", etc. I sent mine to floppy drive but a window came up and said it was too large to put on a floppy and I only have 54 letters in the folder, so doubt if you will be able to save 2000 of yours on a floppy. If you right click on the folder and then click on properties it will open a window that tells you how large it is, mine was 3.19mb for only 54 letters.(some of mine have graphics so that may account for the large size)

Happy Hunting,
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By taiwo on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

Hi,
I need help about my Favorites Program in Internet Explorer 5. How do I delete items in my favorite in Internet Explorer and How do I organise my favorite.
Help will be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 07:27 pm:

Taiwo:

Click the favorites tab, then click "organize favorites".

The four buttons on the left will control what happens with the item you select on the right. To delete something, you click on it, then hit the delete button on the left side. You would do the same to move to another folder and so on.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 11:21 pm:

Most of the time I don't want to include the message in my reply. So, on my Outlook Express I unchecked the box that says to do it. But occasionally I DO want to. Do I have to go through the whole process of going in, checking the box, writing the email, back to preferences, uncheck box. Or is there a way around this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 09:49 pm:

An easier way to delete a message that I don't want to send back with my reply is to Highlight the message (as if you were only printing a certain section) then hit Delete and you are left with a blank page to write your reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Zechino on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:47 pm:

I am using Outlook Express 5. Ever since I've upgraded to Windows 98 I've had this problem when opening an email and the screen is maximized. The title bar, and therefore the minimize, maximize/ restore and close buttons are not visible. If I want to close the email I have to pull it down first and then, after closing it, I have to restore it to it's origanal position, otherwise it looks disorganized. I have not been able to find a way for the titlebar to be visible when opening an email. None of the "gurus" I know have been able to help, either. It isn't serious, I suppose. Just terrybly annoying. Help would be much appreciated, please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 06:42 pm:

Does anyone know how to make Outlook Express alphabetize the address book. Mine does it automatically, but my friend who has Win98SE, hers is not. I have looked and looked and there is no "sort" feature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 03:54 am:

Hi,

Question is where did my "sent" email messages go?
This has never happened before. There's always a first I know!

I was on the internet. Everything was working find (so I thought). When I disconnected, and came back several hours later, I discovered all my
"sent" messages have mysteriously disappeared from my email.

Where did they go? Is there any way to retrieve them? I thought the only way to delete "sent"
files was to delete them one by one. The only "lump" I can delete all at once is "trash".

I have Netscape.

Thanks for any help.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 04:21 am:

Mary:

I am not sure...but are you using the same profile as before?

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 04:53 am:

Welcome Back, Josh!

Hope you had a great vacation! You deserved it!

Okay, back to reality, what do you mean by
"profile"? I'm still using everything I had
before. Nothing's changed, at least to my
knowledge. That doesn't sound good! Netscape.

Glad you're back!

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 05:18 am:

Hey Mary:

It is good to be back. It was nice to get away for a while, but I sure started missing my computer!

When I say "profile", I am referring to the feature of netscape that allows different users to use the browser with seperate settings. I guess the easiest way to check this is to see if you still have your deleted items from dates before you were missing your sent items. If so, this blows my theory out of the water.

What I am thinking happened is that somehow your profile got messed up, and it is now using the default settings, so you lose all of your saved messages.

Is this the case?

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 09:55 pm:

Hi Josh,

I don't have the messages that I put in the "trash" before my "sent" messages disappeared.
I usually delete the "trash" a couple times a day.
If the "sent" had ended up there, I would've noticed before I hit "delete".

As far as another user on this computer, there wasn't anyone else using it a day or so before this happened. So it had to be me.

I've looked at all the email settings, and I can't see anything that even mentions anything about the
"sent" files.

Could I have accidentally hit a combination of keys on the keyboard which was a command to delete them? Stranger stuff has happened! At least to me! :)

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 11:17 pm:

I don't think so.

I still think it is a profile issue. Look under start/programs/netscape... profile editor? Something like that. Somehow, you probably had a profile setup for you to use the computer, and something happened that caused it to stop using your profile and use a default profile. That is what I am thinking happened. That just makes the most logical sense.

However, I can always be wrong. I don't know of a way to just delete everything in the folder... it seems that it got lost somewhere. Which is why I think your netscape doesn't know that you are who you are, and so it doesn't allow you to see the sent messages.

Try to open the profile editor and open it under your profile.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 05:18 am:

Josh,

I finally found the profile "thing" under Start,
but it doesn't say anything that looks out of the
ordinary.

My "sent" emails since that fateful day are all saved. Just that one day all my "sent" email disappeared into the unknown. Argh!

I had this happen one time with my "inbox", too,
but several days later, it just re-appeared. That was about three months ago.

Somehow, I get the feeling that won't happen this
time. Guess I'll have to live without it.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 09:44 pm:

Well, shoot, I am out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

Well, thanks for trying, Josh!

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bonnj on Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 02:30 am:

zechino
the trouble you are having with your screen cutting out the top might just be the setting on your monitor...trylooking on the front of your monitor for small boxes with boxes and arrows in them....go to the one with the arrow that points to the top and bottom(use triangles to more to each box) then press on the (- minus then + as needed) button...see if that does the trick..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Donna Cortes on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 06:12 am:

I have a couple silly, but annoying, problems.
1)When I'm reading my email I used to leave the message small to delete it easier if that's what I wanted to do. Now I can't make my messages smaller. When I click on restore, nothing happens; so if I delete that message I jump right out to my desktop. I know it's something I did but I'm one of those senior citizens who gets lost easily.
2)My printer has always worked fine and to my knowledge I did nothing to the settings but now when I try to print something nothing happens until I go to another screen or something. Sometimes if I try to sign off it tells me I still have jobs to print, do I still want them.
I hope I've explained everything right and hope you can help me....no one else can. Thanx anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cecil on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:53 pm:

I am having trouble receiving certain email replies. My message goes across fine, but when they try to "reply" it gets sent back as undeliverable. This does not happen all the time because I get some email. Any ideas.

Thanks, Cecil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By josh on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:55 pm:

Cecil, in your email program, there is an option to set the "reply-to" address.

This is set to the wrong address...when someone replies, it attempts to send it to a bad address instead of the correct one. Just change it to your current email address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rena Nordquist on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:11 am:

I would like to print out my sent items list, does anyone know how I can do this? I sent some emails out to some contacts, and I want to do some follow-ups with them...appreciate your help.
RNordquist

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By C. J. on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 04:09 am:

Why is it when someone replys to a email and send it. when it gets to destination, all that shows up is "ÿþ<" without the quotes. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsr on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 04:44 am:

I need to email a regular 8.5 x 11 page to a friend. I ran it through my HP 4in1, and have it saved in my documents. I gave it a test run by emailing it to myself from Yahoo, to MSN. Well it worked! BUT! It was so huge the logo, which is only like 2"x 3/4" on the 8.5x11 Filled my 19" monitor. When I opened it in my MSN email, what in thunder happend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 07:56 pm:

tsr, I believe that you scanned it at too high a resolution or you saved it as either a bitmap or tiff which results in a humongus file size. If your scanner gives you the option of saving it as a .jpg, try using that. If you have a graphics program, you can open it in that and reduce the size prior to attaching it to e-mail. There are so many different scanner programs that have different options, that it is difficult to know how yours works. I use an EPSON 1650 that allows you to use various resolutions for scanning different items, i.e., pictures (b&w or color), color or b&w documents, text, negatives, etc. If it is text that you are scanning, try using "OCR" if your scanner supports it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsr on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 07:16 am:

What is the best way to acquire a opt-in, e-mail list? also how does one use the list as I have heard, that most ISPs will shut you down if you do mass e-mails. whats the beef if it is opt-in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Debbie Vella on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:01 pm:

Here goes....This is confusing to me. My son (college boy) was working on my computer last weekend and upgraded the memory and after he left I went in to my Outlook Express and am missing emails and folders I created in a specific time period (Aug-Nov). I couldn't believe it because I NEED THESE FOLDERS!) I played around searching everywhere and after 2 hours I did something that actually brought them back up, then..............I logged out (relieved) for the evening and when I logged back in last night I pulled my hair out because the dang things are missing again! I wasted another 2 very frustrating hours to no avail ! Any suggestions?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page