Napster and how it works

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: Napster and how it works
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 05:43 pm:

HI:

heard that napster is suppose to download mp3s from the personal machine of people. doesn't sound right to me, i assume that someone uploads a music file to a server and then people access the file from this server not their personal machine.

anyone know how it works

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 05:53 am:

Hi
http://www.team-mp3.com/mp3/napster.htm is a good site for Napster information - tutorials, guides, and links.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 03:08 pm:

You assume wrong!! There was an article in todays paper that explained how it works. You go to Napster, download their program - log on - that links you to everyone else's PC that is logged on - each user designates what music they have on their PC that he/she is willing to download - music is downloaded from your PC. They say that this does not give them access to your hard drive, only what you have designated as available. And I have some beach front property for sale in Nevada!!!
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 09:49 pm:

Richard

It's quite correct. Each file/folder on your PC has a set of permissions associated with it. Without getting too technical, these permissions can be roughly summarised as share/not share. What this means is that you allow people access to that folder or not. Napster lets you set permissions for a particular folder where you store your music as "share". This means that Napster users can only scan the designated "shared" folder. Furthermore, Napster only recognises established music file formats (MP3 etc) and ignores other file types. So any other file is simply ignored. There are lots of much easier ways to hack into your PC than via a folder with only MP3 files in it.

Regardless of the moral issue, peer-to-peer networking (which is what Napster is) is here to stay. If Napster is closed down, Gnutella, Scour, Napigator etc are poised to take over. The genie is out of the bottle and the smart money should be focused on how to make money out of it.

Bottom line. Can Napster access files other than MP3's? No, it can't. Is it Spyware? No, it isn't. Can it control your PC? No, absolutely not. Could Napster users use Napster to hack your PC? No, because file location (where you store your music) is not the information a hacker needs. I like to believe that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to PC's and the Internet and I would classify Napster as 100% completely safe and 1000% useful.

I'd never heard of Creed, Fiona Apple or No Doubt. I now own three Cd's that I would never have discovered otherwise. You've guessed it - you're talking to a Napster fan!

Musically Yours

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

Hi;
I am still able to download music from Napster,and with the Court Ruling against them, I was wondering if I am doing something illegal now? Can anyone help me with this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 02:26 pm:

Anon:

I am no lawyer, although I work for a law firm... and so I have no educated comment on the legal aspects of napster.

Napster has supposedly set-up a feature where you cannot download songs that they have blocked. This was supposed to go into effect this past weekend. However, I have not used it since then, so dunno if it works or not.

If you are interested in some alternatives to napster....seeing how things are falling apart with it, then try one of these gnutella clients:

http://www.limewire.com
http://www.bearshare.com

Of course, I must say that I am only mentioning these things for educational information, what you do with it is your own business. :p

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 02:50 am:

Josh,
Thank -you for answering,I found out their is still many song's to download from Napster. Also, thank's for the other sites you suggested, as I will surely try them out.
Darlene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssandhouse on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 07:43 am:

Try Morpheus.com It is like Napster and the easiest to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:13 am:

Yes, except the url is http://www.musiccity.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page