Can I install IE5.5

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: IE 5.5: Can I install IE5.5
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 09:55 pm:

Hi Gentlemen,

Query is this: I am running IE4, but thought i was running IE5.5. I downloaded the IE5.5 but didn't set it up properly so it is sitting in my C drive awaiting set up. I have also now downloaded the new MS6 Browser, which i find quite easy to use. What I need to know is, can I set up the IE5.5 now or will it conflict with the new MS6 Browser.
Hope you can help me with this one, all I seem to be doing these days is crashing my computer, being a newbie does have its drawbacks, doesn't it

Thanks.

Arline.

p.s. (I still owe you a beer Jamie)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 11:27 pm:

Hi Arline

IE 5.5 is the state-of-the-art browser at the moment. I've been using it since its first issue and have had next to no problems. So, yes, highly recommend installing it.

As for MS6, the only MS6 I know is the music synthesiser - which I imagine is not what you mean?

Personally, as I don't have a chat client, I can't really see the benefit of having more than one browser unless you need it for testing. It just takes up more space plus time for synchronising bookmarks etc.

Having said that, if you're going to install two, there may be a conflict if they both try and make themselves the default program for viewing web pages. You'll need to watch for this during set-up (they should ask if you want them to be the default program). Just set one as the default.

One other possibility, depending on the installation files, is a crash if you run them both at the same time. This could be caused by them both trying to use the same resources (probably DLL files, assuming they don't install their own copies).

However, just because they perform the same function, doesn't mean they'll conflict. To draw a parallel, I have several graphics programs on my PC and can use any one of them to view/edit graphics without any problem. You're planning to do something similar.

As for crashing your computer, are you running regular maintenance tasks? Or maybe running too many at the same time? Try and get into the habit of only running one or two at the same time. It does mean you'll have to wait a few seconds while a program starts, but think of the re-boots you'll save. And run maintenance tasks at least once a week.

Yup, being a newbie is a pain. But there's an antidote. Go to www.gemtree.com and download and install Desktop Games. You'll understand what I mean when you've done it!

Next time you're in Edinburgh, I'll take you up on that beer!

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 09:25 am:

Hi Jamie,

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, the Desktop Games is brilliant, thanks for that one.

As for maintenance tasks, I run them every Sunday overnight automatically, that way they are completed by the time I need the computer for the week ahead. They are timed so that they run one after the other and not together.
I did install the IE5.5 and it seems to be running fine, and the MSN6 appears to run along with it, so all is fine in that regard. I only downloaded it because I thought it is a far nicer looking window and I use the MS Messenger a lot, and as that was the cause of my previous problems ie: "The Box" I find it to be a better set up for me.

Another problem I have recently acquired is shut down "hanging". It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally, but it will sit there all day at the "Windows is shutting down" point and not go to "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen, and i can't restart at any time. I have downloaded the fix from MS Updates and run it several times but to no avail, can you advise me what to do from here?

With regard to setting up your own help site, Why not? I do have problems getting into this one sometimes.

Regards,

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 03:16 am:

Hi Arline

"Hanging" isn't really a problem. It's perfectly safe just to turn it off after the "Windows is shutting down" window's been there for about 15 seconds, with no scandisk on the restart.

I also have probs with accessing this site sometimes, but I've got a couple of other projects in the pipeline just now (more news on that when they're finished).

Cheers

Jamie

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page