Cookies and those dratted .dat files

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: Cookies and those dratted .dat files
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 02:04 am:

Hi, different times that I want to be able to delete a folder or something,I notice a .dat file(named media clips) One is in my cookies folder and it will not allow me to delete all cookies at the same time. If I try to delete all,it tells me that the .dat file can't be deleted. I can't move it anywhere/send it anywhere/drag it or delete it. Why is it there/where did it come from? I can delete cookies-one at a time- and get no complaint from it..but cannot delete all in one fell swoop.Any suggestions will be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 09:35 am:

I had the same problem and was told by someone that you are NEVER to delete that file. You can delete the cookies a complete column at a time by clicking on the top, scrolling down to the bottom, push "shift" and click on the bottom one. Thats a lot faster that doing one at a time. I have no idea what the .dat file is for or what it does, but I am sure someone will tell us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 11:18 pm:

CJ,
By the way, have you considered the fact that if you delete all of your cookies, you will also lose whatever login passwords you had windows remember for you for pages that require user names and passwords? Not a really big deal, because the next time you go to one of those pages that require it, you will have to re-enter your user name and password and then a "new" cookie will be placed on your PC. I am told that most cookies are of a very small size, 1K or less, so they don't take up very much space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CJ on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 08:53 pm:

I don't mind if I have to retype my name/password each time and I don't mind getting new cookies,but I have thousands of them/no exaggeration/ and I do want to delete them.

Most of them are places I don't even go anymore and several places have gifted me with MORE than ONE cookie.(that ought to be outlawed...they ought to be able to give me ONE ONLY) ARRGGH!!

Someone may have told you that you are never to delete that file, but someone should have told you that IT WON'T LET YOU delete it. :)

I sometimes feel like 'big brother' is in my machine and I want him out. LOL

Thanks Richard...just knowing that you know what I mean is a big help. :) CJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:11 am:

The DAT file is actually a "spy" file. It contains the addresses of all the sites you have ever visited!! I've no idea why Microsoft ever thought it was necessary, but you're quite correct, it's difficult to delete in Windows. This is because every file has what's known as "attributes", usually Read, Write and Hidden. The DAT file extension is Read Only by default, which is why you can't delete it in Windows. However, there is a free utility that will delete it at http://www.fsm.nl/ward/. Alternatively, if you feel comfortable with pure DOS, head on over to www.langa.com and use one of Fred Langa's batch files (not recommended for newbies).

Incidentally, it's perfectly safe to delete it. The same applies to all cookies. However, some cookies store passwords, so deleting all cookies will mean that you will have to re-type passwords to access sites.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 03:48 am:

Hi-I am still a newbie. What exactly are cookies and what do they do? What do you mean by the the dreaded .dat files? What do they do?

Thanks so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 07:30 am:

RE: Cookies;

No they're not choclate chip...;-)
Here's what they do and what they're for...
If you go to a site that will, for some reason, let you register for an account to say, set up 'preferences' on a web page, when you sign up the web site will place a "Cookie", on your computer. You can think about this "Cookie" like a handshake. If you have setup any personal preferences on a web site, when you return to that site it will look through your "Cookie" folder and see if it recognizes you, if it does, handshake time, welcome back and all that good stuff and will display your page as you have set it up.

Cookies are just little finger prints that web sites can keep track of visitors. They are very tiny in size and take up very little space.

There are some cookies that are pretty intrusive and I feel that some of these have no right being on my computer so I just find the little devils and delete them. All in all they are useful but some people have a tendancy to abuse the use of them. They are not harmful and do not create virus'

You can safely delete all of the Cookies in your cookies folder and no harm is done. If you have set up any personal preferences on any web sites you will have to log in to retrieve these preferences.

The Cookies folder is in your Windows directory.

Hope this helps

Catchup

Wayne's Worlds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 04:07 am:

Here's something that I have put together that should give everyone a little more information about just what cookies are, how they work, where the live and how to deal with them.

A recipe for Cookies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joey on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:43 pm:

I have been trying to enter a wed site without success even though it is a public site. I keep getting a window that reads, quote "Your browser has cookies disabled, or does not support cookies, but this site requires cookies", unquote. When I check cookies I find a full page + of "cookies" . What can I do to have cookies recognize this site?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:10 pm:

This is probably a dumb question but here goes...
would my scans (virus,adware,defrag,etc.)take less time if I didn't have lots of cookies?
Also,since I wasn't smart enough to write down what names & passwords I've used for different sites,is there any way to sort them out of my cookies & then delete the rest?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By PeggyBennett on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:00 pm:

I have this neat little program that I use to take care of cookies and temp files. It is called EmptyTempFolders.....you can get it here and it is free.
www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/emptemp/

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page