How Do I Change My Browser

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: How Do I Change My Browser
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Java enable - could it be that browser does not support Java?  1   03/10 01:29pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta Woehst on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 06:53 am:

I have made a gateway page to one of my affiliate programs. (On a free site, don't beat me, it is my first attempt at web design, didn't want to spend money before I knew if I could do it.) Anyway, in another forum site review I was told there was a problem when viewing with Netscape. So, how to I change my browser to Netscape so that I can view the problem and fix it? Oh, and I will want to change back to IE when finished.

Is this operation to much to ask of a newbie?

Loretta
PS: this is the page.
http://bizalert.homestead.com/bizbuzz.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 07:52 pm:

Loretta:

Just download the netscape browser. When installing netscape, if it asks you to make it the default browser, say no. Then, connect to the internet, double-click netscape, and off you go. IE will still be the default.

Another side issue, Netscape 4.X and Netscape 6.0 are very different in how things are displayed. You may want to download both versions and check with all three browsers to get a happy medium. Whenever making websites, always remember to downgrade gracefully, finding the common denominator without compromising your site look.

Netscape 6.0 meets all HTML 4 standards, but Netscape 4.x and IE do not. Hopefully, Micro$oft will release their next IE version following all HTML 4 standards, which would eliminate this browser compatibility problem.

As for your site itself, I surfed over to it, but I couldn't tell anything offhand what would be a problem with netscape. I don't have netscape here at work, so not able to compare looks. I did view your source, and my guess is that there is a problem with some of the style sheets that you are using.

A good place to compare Netscape and IE style sheet compatibility is here:

http://www.projectcool.com/developer/reference/css_style.html

Best of luck!

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 03:50 am:

Thanks for the info Josh,

I hate to be a knothead, but how do you view my source? And what are style sheets? I was unaware that I was using them. I'm going to "projectcool" now, to see what I can see.

Thanks again.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 08:15 am:

Loretta,
Click on "view" then "source". it will open in "Notepad" and you can see what code was used to make the page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 05:57 am:

Hi Again Josh,

I have tried to download Netscape twice without success. Probably because my ISP (sic) dumped me before it had finished downloading. I will try again when I have time. I didn't find the 4.X version you spoke of, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Thanks again for the help. And Richard thanks for the view source info.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 10:47 pm:

Hi Loretta

Do you use a download manger like Go!zilla? This will re-start your download from where it was interupted if your connection fails. Gozilla is free - (well, sponsored - it has little ads in it). You can download it at http://www.gozilla.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

Loretta,
Here is the link for 6.0 browser:
http://home.netscape.com/download/index.html
The download will consist of "SmartUpdate". Make sure you have some free time after you download this, because the actual netscape browser is about 6 megs... (i think, going from memory). Double-click the download and it will run a setup program which will allow you to customize your browser download and then will download all of the components you need for the netscape browser.

To get 4.7, here is the link:
http://home.netscape.com/download/archive/client_archive47x.html
Just choose the win95/98/nt installation on the page. I am not sure if this uses smartupdate or not, but at least this is a start.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 07:38 am:

Thanks all of you for the help. I haven't had time to follow your advice, but it is nice to know where it is when I need it. Maybe in a couple of days, if I get my monthly accounting caught up. :-)

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By candy on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 11:43 am:

I've downloaded & deleated go-zilla 2Xs - it bugs me as it seems that every time things in the computer get screwed up - then gator comes along with it - I have also deleated & disabled & kicked the c--p out of it & can't get it to go away.
hints?
Thanks Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 12:21 pm:

Netscape is making me crazy! Downloaded & never saw the 'make default' choice so everything- icons etc. are now changed. Have emailed them to ask for help. Also Gator continues to pop up even though I have uninstalled it.

Another thing.... I have found that there are message boards/sites , Newbie Affliate Club is one, that deny access using IE but work with Netscape. Is it this computer or is it life?:)

BTW, I think some clock is off - this says I am posting @ 3:19PM & it is 5:22AM here in AZ - if it is mine, I OVERSLEPT!

Thanks
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

Candy,

The time is very weird. The server is in California, and it's owners are in Michigan and the U.K. So what time is anyway? I have 13 clocks on the wall to keep track, and I'm always early to appointments. Go figure.

I'll try to get the time thing fixed so it displays Greenwich Mean Time. That way everyone won't know what time it is.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 09:08 pm:

Candy:

Here is how to get IE default browser again:

Right-click on the 'e' on the desktop. Go to properties. Click on the Programs tab. Check the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser."
Hit Apply, then OK.

Start IE and go to a website. It should pop-up a window saying something like, "Internet Explorer is not your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?" Hit yes or ok... whichever may apply.

That should restore everything back to normal. As for Go!zilla, if you have uninstalled it, perform a disk cleanup (double-click my computer, right-click on c:, go to properties. Click the disk cleanup button).

Then, make sure no go!zilla remains in your registry. First, backup the registry:
Start/Run/ type in 'regedit /e backup.reg' [enter]

Next, search for any gozilla remains:
Start/run/ type in 'regedit' [enter]

Click plus next to Local Machine, then the plus next to software, look for anything with gozilla in it. If nothing is there, exit. If something is there, click once, press the del key. Then exit.

That should fix it.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:20 am:

Thank you thank you!!!:)
Will do that for the )$#!--!^?*!! Gator thing too that came along with Netscape. Thanks agian
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 09:14 pm:

Oops... sorry Candy.

Somehow I didn't realize you were saying GATOR. Oh well, goes to show that I have had problems with that pain in the rear Go!Zilla. Evidently it has warped my mind so that whenever people mention programs they can't stand/get rid of, I only think of Go!Zilla.

Sorry, I will try to seek counseling and read better. :)

But that should work for Gator also.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

I've had trouble with both, so no apolgies needed
What I can't seem to figure out is how to use both browsers. I guess I'll post this one in the browser topic.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

using IE & Netscape together - how??? Re: above post, daaaa - I was in the browser topic!

There are 2 password protected message boards I go to often. One is the newbie affilates board - I can only view it in Netscape. In IE it says 'authorized area bla bla'& Apachie something. Are my settings screwed up or are the sites really set up to only enter with netscape?
I know Josh is a non IE kinda guy & that is cool, but I am not familiar enough yet with Netscape & too many changes at once cramps my grey matter. Is there a way I can view them in IE?
Keep :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

Candy:

I am not an anti-IE guy... if only netscape was a little more stable, I would be. 'Cause I SURE don't like micro$oft, but that is another story....

The reason you get the password problem is that your browser security is not 128-bit. Netscape is by default, but IE is 40-bit by default (5.5 comes with 128-bit default). You should upgrade that anyway, because any secure transactions you make online are not near as secure using the lower-security IE.

Do this Candy:

Click help, about Internet Explorer.
It will tell you what version you are using, then it will mention your "cipher strength." I am betting your's says 40-bit. Click on the "upgrade information" link in the window.
Follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade your security on the browser. Once that is done, you shouldn't have any problem getting into the site.

You can always use both browsers, just tell netscape to stop checking to see if it is the "default". When you start it up, it should say "netscape is not currently default browser, would you like to use netscape as default in the future". First, uncheck the box that says "perform these checks in the future." then choose NO. That should fix that problem.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

Josh, you are definately a wizard! Mon. we will be getting a new computer but will do what you suggest with this one for now. I assume I will need to do the same with the new one.
This board certainly lowers my frustration level.
Thanks so much
cpr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 01:06 am:

Candy:

Thanks for the compliment. The new computer will probably have Internet Explorer 5.5 installed, and you won't have to worry about the security problem.

Hope all goes well with the new computer!

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 11:40 am:

Josh
I tried to get the upgrade, but even though I downloaded etc. it won't work so I'm spending my time building instead but I did find out in the help search how a particular version of Gator can screw things up - took forever to get rid of it & the junk that came with it. Almost seems like an invasion!Thanks anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

Candy,

I can't walk you through the ways to install that. It has been a while since I have had to do it. Also, if you just upgrade your Internet Explorer version to 5.5, you will automatically get the better encryption. That may be easier to do.

You can download it by clicking here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/ie55sp1.htm

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 12:16 am:

Josh
fyi
life is better now:) - downloaded netscape on new machine - was CAREFUL not to make default browser & to not get any stuff like gator in with it or anything I ever download. now everything is working well....
will just take awhile to get files copied over to the new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:59 pm:

Candy:

Good to hear your new machine is working well. Just keep those gators away.... :)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 11:39 am:

Can't figure out how to view in 2 different browsers when building my page. IE is the default & have downloaded Netscape - does IE have to be closed to see netscape? Guess I'll hunt through help - feel lazy asking but sooooo many details I get lost on.
Thanks
Candy
oh - fyi I have been using arachnophellia as editor & am fairly pleased

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 05:12 am:

Candy:

You should be able to use both at the same time without any problem. However, you can't double-click an html file to get netscape to start up, you will need to either double-click the netscape icon on the desktop, or start it from the start menu.

Does that help?

Oh, and Arachnophilia is great software. I love the Author's "Careware" idea.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 01:00 pm:

So just have Netscape open but reduced? Will try that - just posted a question about Infranview/Adobe but think I put it in the wrong place!
Thanks Josh
You always have the answers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 05:09 pm:

Candy:

I try, but I definately don't always have the answers.

You shouldn't have to have it reduced to be able to run it at the same time. Does it give an error message when you try to run them at the same time? If so, what is it?

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 09:49 pm:

Changing your default browser:

I know this thread is a little old but here it is anyway J

Changed your mind about which browser you want as your default -- the browser that will open when you click on HTML files, when you type an URL in to the Windows "Start | Run" input box, etc.?
During the installation both Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator browsers will ask whether you want them to be your default browser. If you tell them not to prompt you to perform that check again in the future, here's how to make them do it again:

Explorer 5.x
Select "Tools | Internet Options..." from the main menu.
Change to the "Programs" tab
Enable "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
Click "OK" and restart Internet Explorer

Explorer 4.x
Select "View | Internet Options..." from the main menu.
Change to the "Programs" tab
Enable "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
Click "OK" and restart Internet Explorer

Communicator 4.x
Open the "prefs.js" file located in "<directory where Netscape was installed>; users; <profile name>" using a text editor such as "Notepad"
For example:
"C:Program Files; Netscape; users; prefs.js"
Make sure that the following line has the value "false" or insert it to the end of the file if the line does not exist:
user_pref("browser.wfe.ignore_def_check", false);
Save changes to the file and restart Netscape Navigator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:08 pm:

Hi There
Have been building a web page with notepad light
I can view my page through internet explorer ok. Have downloaded netscape 6 but I am unable to view my web page through it, can anybody out there help me.
Brett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:07 pm:

Brett -

To view the page in Netscape:

Instead of double-clicking the webpage (this opens IE), click once on it. Next, click and hold the shift key. Now right-click on the file. Release the shift key.

A menu will open, with one of the options saying "open with". Select it with the left mouse button.

A window opens with a list of programs. Scroll in the list. If you don't see NS6 in there, then hit "choose program". Now you will need to navigate to your NS6 program. I *think* it is in this location:
Select C drive
Double-click program files folder
Double-click netscape folder (maybe called netscape 6.0 or something along those lines)
Look for the netscape program and select it. You may have to double-click inside a 'program' folder if it exists.

Make sure the "always use this program" is not checked.
Hit OK.
Netscape will startup, and may ask if you want to set it as the default browser. Be sure to uncheck the box that says "do these checks in the future" and choose NO.

That should work. And...bravo for going for browser compatibility. Both IE and NS are fairly the same now, with a couple exceptions. If you have javascript, if it is setup to detect NS, but doesn't detect for 6.0 (or 5 for mozilla), then it may not work properly. Also, any vb stuff you have won't work.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Brett Port on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:24 pm:

Josh

Thanks for the help, I managed to open the webpage in netscape. I do have one more question though, how do I continue to view my webpage through both browsers as I am building it. I am using note tab light and when I clicked tools then clicked on other browser, netscape opened, but, it opened on their homepage and not my webpage.Thanks

Brett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 02:33 pm:

Brett, while I have heard good things about notepad lite, I have never used it myself. I would look at their help files and try to find something there.

I am not sure how to do it in that program

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dannythor on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 10:20 pm:

Can any one Help me , I am using I.E. on a XP machine, and I keep getting a message that I.E. has had a problem and is shuting down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

Have you installed any other programs recently?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page