IE 5.5

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: IE 5.5
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Can I install IE5.5  4   12/09 03:16pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 04:07 am:

Jamie,
I want to thank you for your help, however, what you recommended didn't exactly work out for me. I could not find anyplace to get hold of a CD for IE5. I did find several places where I could download it, but no CD's.

Tried what you said about refreshing my desk top, nothing happened to change the system tray, still only the speaker icon. I never did get the "Are you sure you want to exit windows", instead I got the one asking me what I wanted the computer to do, i.e., shut down, standby, restart, then I would get the "explorer not responding", when I pressed "end task", the screen would flicker once, but the system tray would not change. Then a really strange thing would happen, I could no longer see my pointer, but when I moved the mouse, it was clicking on everything on my desk top and trying to load whatever it was passing over. Regardless of how many times I used "ctrl-alt-delete" nothing happened. I ended up pushing the power button off and re-booting, then everything was fine again.

I do not have a "Windows CD", my W98 was preloaded on my PC (IBM, Aptiva). It came with 2 CD's, an "Aptiva Re-Install" and an "Aptiva Product Recovery-Diagnostic". I couldn't get either one of them to do anything.

While looking for a IE5 CD, I happened across a link to "PCpitstop.com" on WinMag.com. I went there and let it run a check on my PC, among other things, it said I had too many fonts (742) on my machine and that Windows could only handle a maximum of 500 fonts and that anything over that could make Windows unstable. I went to "Fonts" and deleted until I got down to 220. I have no idea where all of the fonts came from and I may have deleted some that I will find I need later. Oh well!!

OK, here is what I ended up doing, and so far everything is working the way it should be and much faster loading than it was doing with IE5.5. Several months ago, when it first became available, I had ordered the W98SE CD from MS (I think it only cost me the shipping charges.) I have always went to MS Update Page and downloaded everything I thought was applicable to me. After I ordered the W98SE CD, I read in several places that if you had downloaded up-dates to W98 from MS, that you should not install W98SE as it would conflict with what you had already downloaded. That being the case, I had put the W98SE CD in a drawer and forgot about it.

Last night I hauled out the W98SE CD, went to add/remove and uninstalled IE5.5 (which took me back to IE4.0), put in the CD and installed W98SE (it took about an hour). So far everything is working (and much faster loading pages).

I think if I have any more problems, I will just take my PC to someone that does it for a living, pay them, and have them give me a complete clean re-installation of W98 or maybe WME.

Once again, thank you very much for your help and I know Tom appreciates your assistance as I have been bugging him for 2 years, ever since I got my first computer. Thanks Tom for the forum.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Sunday, October 08, 2000 - 03:48 am:

Fantastic answer, Jamie. Sure do appreciate the information, and I'm sure Richard does, too. Now that's the kind of help that makes this a great place to "hang out!"

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 09:35 am:

Richard

It sounds to me like you've got a dodgy installation. Try this.

First, using the Microsoft site isn't ideal. Most computer magazines will have the latest version of IE on the free discs they give away. Get hold of one of them. Then go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall whatever version you have. Then install IE5 from the disc. It should work fine. If it still doesn't, re-post with the following info:

Exactly what's happening (include dialogue)
Your system configuration (memory, hard drive, CPU etc)

As for the other problem, when your system tray is reduced to the speaker icon, you need to do a pseudo-reboot. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL simultaneously, select Explorer, then press the 'End Task' button. The "Are you sure you want to exit windows?" dialog will pop up immediately; hit the ESC key to cancel, then wait a few more seconds. Soon, a box will pop up saying that "Explorer is not responding." Hit the 'End task' button and your Desktop will refresh.

You might also find that Windows will become more responsive at that point.

Your problem could actually be caused by several things - but a clean re-install shoud solve it.

Finally, if you want to revert to IE5, put your Windows CD in your drive, go to Add/Remove Programs and click to uninstall IE. A screen will pop up giving you an option to revert to the previous setting.

Re-post and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 04:16 am:

About a month ago I downloaded IE 5.5. Instead of speeding up opening a window, it slowed it down to about 1/2 speed, plus, when I would put the PC on "Standby" and then attempt to go back to work it would throw up a black screen and a window with a message that it had performed an illegal operation and would be closed down. If I clicked on the X and closed the window, and pressed any key, it would bring back my desktop, but, nothing would show on the taskbar (by the clock) except the volume speaker.

Today,I went to the Windows up-date page and clicked on Un-Install on IE 5.5, hoping to get back to my IE 5.0 (which worked quickly and without any problems). When the un-install finished and I re-started the PC, instead of reverting back to IE5.0 it took me clear back to IE4.0. Now that is a scary thought, I had forgotten how "Plain Jane" the old Outlook Express 4.0 looked. I quickly went back to windows up-date and re-installed IE5.5. I still have the same problem with "Standby", but the speed seems to have improved some. By the way, when I re-installed IE5.5, instead of taking about 90 minutes to download as it did the first time, it only took 1 minute, which tells me that when it un-installed, it didn't really leave my PC, just hid itself somewhere waiting to be re-installed.

My question is this: does anyone know how I can get back just my IE5.0? I don't find it listed anymore on windows up-dates.

Or as an alternative, can someone tell me how to correct IE5.5 so that I can use "Standby".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Warren on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 01:58 pm:

This whole scenario points out the validity of an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 01:59 am:

Warren,

Brilliant Answer!! Wasn't trying to "Fix It", was trying to "Improve It". Or do you have something against advancements. The Model "T" Ford was a great car for it's time, but I don't drive one anymore. This brings to mind another old saying, "If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation, then why interrupt?"

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jawbreaker on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 10:50 pm:

Richard, man, the Bluelight Free ISP CD from Kmart has IE 5.0 on it. Just grab one at the checkout counter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 11:14 am:

Update to IE 5.5 SP1. It incorporates several security and bug fixes.

Note: IE 6.0 is on the horizon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JO on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

I have IE 5.5 and Windows up date has listed Microsoft IE 6 service pack 1 as a critical update for my computer. It says it is the most recent version of the IE6 core technologies, etc. Since I am new at this and after reading others IE problems, I am more confused than ever. If I have IE 5.5 why do I need the IE 6 Service Pack 1? Can someone unravel my confusion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:01 am:

Hi Richard,

In your above message you mentioned ordering a CD for Windows98SE from Microsoft and only paying the shipping charges. Would you be so kind as to send me the link from Microsoft so that I may order one also. thanks, longlashes

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page