A Treatise or Two on SPAM and Blatant Advertising

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: A Treatise or Two on SPAM and Blatant Advertising
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
If Anyone Is Interested"?  3   04/02 03:45pm
Where to advertise  1   11/06 03:51pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 12:32 pm:

SPAM. STAY WELL CLEAR.

Tom, I would suggest deleting this thread in case any Newbies are taken to the cleaners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:42 am:

I second the motion;
This really doesn't need to get into money making scams and schemes!!!
There are plenty of message boards out there for that!
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kirk on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 05:32 pm:

One rule of thumb I go by is I NEVER buy ANYTHING from a FREE site such as Homestead, Geocities, Angelfire, etc. (There are too many to name.)

If someone can't afford to pay a minimal monthly amount to have their own domain name hosted then it makes me highly suspicious.

They are definitely not a professional and are not be trusted with my hard earned money!

Best regards,

Kirk
A+

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 07:26 am:

Hey Guys,

Forgive him, he's a new newbie, mistaking this for a FFA site.

I remember (that's becuse it wasn't that long ago) when I first logged on to the Internet it was a brand new world. I joined every free thing in sight.

Of course, you learn very quickly what is junk off line is junk on line.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, November 25, 2000 - 02:25 am:

I AM NEW TO NETWORK MARKETING, JUST GETTING STARTED, BUT I HAVE BEEN CHECKING INTO AFFILIATE PROGRAMS FOR AWHILE, LOOKING FOR ONE THAT REALLY CATCHES ME EYE. QUESTION: FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND
YOU CAN GET ON MAILING LISTS, (A SWAP TO GET MAIL AND SEND IT) IS THIS WHERE NETWORK MARKETER'S GET THEIR LEADS FROM???? AND IF SOMEONE EMAILS YOU ABOUT THEIR SITE OR PROMOTIONS, AND YOU EMAIL THEM BACK TELLING THEM ABOUT YOUR AFFILIATIONS, IS THIS CONSIDERED SPAMMING???? OR IS BUYING A LIST OF LEADS THE WAY TO GO???? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS JACKIE J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tim fleagle on Sunday, November 26, 2000 - 08:22 am:

Anonymous,
I suggest you look at generating some keywords
that pertain to mlm or network marketing. If you go to goto.com you can get a entire listing for free or If you want, I could do It for you. for example if you type in the word "mlm" you will get an entire listing of all the key words about "mlm". Currently this list consists of about 100 terms. The key words to "mlm" or "network marketing" target your market. You than can creat ads at goto.com or other pay to click search engines.The people that respond will be people that are interested in network marketing or mlm. This is a good place to start. I have been in business for two years on the net and involved in network marketing, if you are interested in more infomation drop me a line at I would b glad to help you or anyone who is interested.
mfleagle1@woh.rr.com Just put "more info from the newbie club" in the subject

sincerely, tim fleagle owner of eaglesnest marketing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

Hi Jackie,

There is a grey area between spamming and not spamming. Some things are definitely spam and others are questionable. The problem is the last word goes to the receiver of your e-mail. If they decide it is spam; it is spam and they can make a great deal of trouble for you even when you are innocent. Many innocent e-mailers have lost their company affiliation and their ISP because some nut screamed SPAM.

Buying a so called, safe Opt in List can also be risky. Where did the list manager obtain the names? Have these people agreed to receive unsolicited mail? Many list sellers simply harvest the names from the Internet. Companies like Pro Step would be safe, but are expensive.

Best advice is to start your own list at one of the list services like e-groups. Anyone who joins your list will have agreed to receive e-mail from you.

I see this thread has been spammed again. It is an exercise in futility to place your ads in a discussion group out of context. You will only irritate the members and no one will visit your site. So why take the time to place an ad here.

Loretta
http://bizalert.homestead.com/bizbuzz.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Beebe on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 10:11 pm:

Hi Jackie,
I would be careful how I sent email your ISP will shut down with out a word. You have nothing to say about it. If you join safe lists and then most of them are not reading your mail because they are getting thousands of emails everyday and just scan the subject lines to see if they had any replies to their offers.
The more I think about it I think catchy Bumper stickers would work well and keep you out of trouble.
Good Luck,
Tom Beebe
http://tombeebe.com
1001 Free Places to Advertise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dan Slaughter Jr on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 06:27 am:

Tom, HEE HEE sorry but you made me laugh, but seriously You're right.

ISP's take this stuff seriously, but I do like some of the post I am seeing because I remember when I was a newbie (AH Man That's was 1996) anyway I posted to the wrong news group and the next day I had 400 or maybe 500 emails I Thought WOW, This internet thing is incredible look at all these leads....:o) ROTF LOL, !!!

But on closer inspection they were all from 3 people one Guy (Relentless) who acted like I had said stuff about his MOM. Because of him I had to move my e-mail and at that time it had nothing to do with my ISP, I mean this guy had it in for me I was getting 300+ a day.

So Be careful there are good ways to market better ways SPAM is definitely BADDDDDDD and while I am on this, eat at home more and spend the few bucks you save on your business, I mean it is a business right? :o)

Just my $0.02
Dan
<

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Glander on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 08:05 am:

Hello most excellent friends,

I just finished reading the posts in this area, and I'm impressed. If everyone who was new to the Net could be educated about SPAM, FFAs, etc etc wouldn't it be nice?

Yea, and it would be nice if we all knew how to read without having to learn our ABCs. Or could remember everything we ever saw or heard. (Someone will say there's a web site selling in incredible device or program or whatever that does just that, and all for just $29.95, too.)

Point: I appreciate all the help everyone gives to make this a safe haven for Newbies. Hey, I'm a Newbie, too. My area of 'beginnerism' is in PERL. We're all new at something. And the helpfulness here is fantastic.

I've taken the liberty of deleting the post that started this whole discussion. It wasn't worth much anyway.

Best,

Tom Glander

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 02:21 am:

Thanks Tom, for the deletion. However, one good thing came of his/her post, it started a very useful discussion.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 09:15 am:

Loretta,

A useful discussion is always useful. I only delete stuff that's going to be of no educational value. Which is often difficult to determine at the offset.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert Rickert on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

Spamming, What is and what is not, after reading these messages, I am every bit as confused as I was. I recently read terms & conditions of an affiliate program I was looking at. The program is new and really are jumping the gun, you know the kind, conference calls 6 times a week, tons of promises in verbal form only, A web site that is only partially operational. etc, etc. in other words, nothing constructive to support the spoken word. Anyway terms and conditions as they relate to SPAMMING were accessible on their site, and they clearly stipulated ABSOLUTELY NO SPAMMING. Failure to comply WILL result in your IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL, and you will lose everything that you have paid for to start with and put your heart and soul into just because of 1 E-mail to many. One person complains because he or she construed that the methods used to inform her/him about whatever was in his/her estimation SPAMMING . This is really scary stuff. Somewhere there has to be a CLEAR YET SIMPLISTIC DEFINITION OF WHAT IS SPAMMING PERIOD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

Check out these 2 sites www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/ and www.spam.abuse.net they may answer your questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

If I recieve ANY email message that is advertising in subject, sent to me from someone that I do not know, and sent through an unsolicited means, I consider it spam. Unless I voluntarily give my email address to a company requesting advertisments, then I should not get anything from them. Any email sent to me without my permission is spam.... very simple.

If you are not sure whether you are crossing the line on what is or what is not spam, then, for most people, you probably are.

And I will report it. If everyone reported spam, we could help get it all under control.

Check out:
http://www.spamcop.net

By the way, I LIKE the Hormel Spam meat!

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page