Pop-up nightmare

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: Pop-up nightmare
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By richwel2000@yahoo.com on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:38 pm:

Hi! I have recently run into an awful problem. I click on a site, I get a pop-up. I close it, and then it puts an icon on the side with an M on it. I right click the m to no avail. It stays there, and no matter where I go, I get a fresh pop-up every minute. It follows me to my mail, I even closed my window and disconnected to work offline...it's still there and I get messages "The page you have requested cannot be shown offline, dial up now?" What is this? How can I get rid of it? I tried ignoring and keep shutting windows, and my pc crashes. Any help, or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

Richwel2000@yahoo.com:

Try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL once. A window will pop up listing all the programs running. Look for something with that M on it, and choose end task. If it doesn't close on first try, re-do the ctrl alt del end task again and again until it closes.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

Hi Richwel2000,

As advised to me by The Newbie Club Clinic go to:-

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-3356727-100-5594499.html}

and download the program you find there, they have a 20 time trial version of the program Amnesia, it cleared my pop-up problem the first time I used it.

This will help you to remove all the pop-up boxes that have left cookies in your computer. Then pop over to:-

{http://www.hackfix.com,

and check that you haven't picked up a virus or trojan of some sort, believe me, i know, i've been where you are now, and the frustration of it is tremendous.

Good luck,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By richwel on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 06:17 am:

Thank you so much for the help on this matter. pop-ups are annoying at best, but this type can only be described as a "nightmare". Thank you!!!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page