Dial up connection

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: Dial up connection
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Setting default email  1   04/16 12:41pm
I cannot get rid of my HOMEPAGE  2   05/21 09:58am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 10:09 pm:

my dial up connection keeps coming up in my window, even when i am not trying to get into the net, can anybody explain to me why please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 09:03 pm:

Hi Arline

It's probably one of two things. Check to see if you've set your e-mail client to "Automatically connect when checking for new messages". That could be it - but the most likely culprit is Adware.

Adware is free software that is supported by advertising. An advert is inserted into the program and the advertiser pays a rate according to the number of times the software has been downloaded. Obviously, advertisers change over time, so the software will automatically check for updates.

There isn't much you can do about this. Most adware programs won't work if you try and disable the advertising. If it's really bugging you, you might want to pay for the program instead.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 12:48 am:

Hi Jamie,

Thanks, but being a real newbie at this, where do i find my e-mail client,so i can check to see about the automatic thingy, also i have downloaded 1 Adware program so after i have checked my e-mail client i will have a look at that one. Thanks again for your help.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 01:38 am:

Hi Arline

Sorry, should have explained that better. E-mail client is just geek-speak for e-mail software. Whatever you're using to retrieve your e-mail is your e-mail client.

It will almost certainly be the adware you mention. What software is it?

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 09:51 am:

Hi Jamie,

The adware i downloaded is a "Free Solitaire" one, it has 10 games on it, and, yes, it does have lots of adverts all over it, this i assume now has to be the program that is causing the dial up box to keep appearing all the time, as i use this for a bit of light rec, i think i will leave it there until i can buy the ad free version, thanks a million for your help, i will no doubt be in touch with another problem soon.

Cheers,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 11:51 pm:

Arline

Go to www.completelyfreesoftware.com - you'll find tons of ad free games there, including solitaire.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 02:41 am:

Thanks Jamie,

I have been to the site, it's fantastic, with a bit of luck I can now stop the dial up connection box arriving in my window when I don't want it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Cheers

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Penny Bond on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 07:36 pm:

I go to a Midi file site and I want to "save" music to later insert in my email. When I click on the name of the song a page comes up that says "This page cannot be displayed." At the bottom of my screen is a rectangular box that says "cannot connect to server."

A few days ago I installed a Mediaplayer 7.0 a day or two later I uninstalled it because I could not find a way to "save or store" the music it played. Now I cannot access Midi's either. Can you help me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 09:43 am:

Hi Jamie,
Sad to say but my dial up connection box has arrived back again on a more regular basis now. I have deleted the adware I had but the problem seems to be getting worse now. On occasion I can't even get rid of the box at all, I just have to continue with what I am doing and it drops to the bottom taskbar and sits there. If there is anything else you can suggest to help sort this out, I will be most grateful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 10:58 pm:

Hi Arline

Sometimes adware will leave programs on your computer. Go to Steve Gibson's site at www.grc.com and download and run his Opt Out software. Delete anything it finds.

If that doesn't cure it, it's probably something like Real Player. Post back with exactly when it's happening, what programs you're running, what you've just done etc. The more info, the better.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 05:50 pm:

Arline:

Here's whats up;
Open your browser, click file, click Internet Options, click on the connections tab, click on the radio button that says "Never dial a connection".

This should do it. If when you click your Internet connection program and nothing happens, (dial up doesn't show up) then go back and click on "Dial whenever a connection is not present" This should take care of your problem...

I hope,,,,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 08:15 am:

Catchup,
Don't know what system you are using, but my "Internet Options" are not under "File", they are located under "Tools" (W98SE).
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 10:12 am:

Hi Gentlemen,Arline here,

1)Richard, Found it, thank you very much.

2)Catchup, What can I say?

3)Jamie, I went to Steves site, downloaded the Opt Out software and it really did clear some rubbish out of my pc, unfortunatly not the dial up box. It comes up after I disconnect from the net, if I am playing cards or even if I am working in Office 97 (just trying to learn Word,Access and Excel,failing miserably at the moment)I have noticed one difference though, the dial up box that comes up when I click Internet Explorer or Outlook Express has connect, settings and work offline on the three buttons, the box that comes up when I don't want it has, connect, settings and cancel on the buttons, could this be a key to my problems, or am I just clutching at straws now? Oh yes I nearly forgot, the "box" came up when I was closing down my pc for the night and wouldn't let it close down, it froze, all I could do was turn off, turn on and let the scan disc run, that cleared it and I was able to close down properly. I also have MS Instant Messenger which I run when I am in the net but I don't run more than 1 program at a time, (not experienced enough yet) I hope this bit of info can help you, i'm completely confused and don't know what to do next. Thanks a million for your help, catch you in a day or two.

Regards, Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 10:22 pm:

Hi Jamie,

About half way through our discussions here another question was posted on the board by Penny Bond. I think this may have been overlooked as there are no answers. Hope you don't mind me mentioning this but help seems to be needed and I can't help.

Cheers,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 10:35 pm:

Arline

Something on your computer is trying to connect to the Internet. If it's still happening when you've ticked Never Dial A Connection under Tools/Internet Options/Connections in Internet Explorer, and there are no other programs running, then you might have a virus. Run your virus checker and see if anything comes up. If you haven't got a virus checker go to www.cai.com and download InnoculateIt (it's free).

Another piece of software you need is Zone Alarm from www.zonelabs.com. It's a firewall that will prevent anything connecting to the net without your authorisation. It will also identify the software that's trying to make the connection.

Let me know how you get on.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 10:41 pm:

Penny

Your question got lost in the shuffle as Arline pointed out. It's usually better to start a different discussion rather than add a separate question to an ongoing one.

Try right-click/save target as on the link to the file. This should work and allow you to include the midi file in your e-mail as an attachment.

Quick tip - create a special folder to store your midis in. It'll make it easier to locate/delete them later.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 10:48 am:

Hi Jamie,

I downloaded the virus checker and my computer was clear, so I downloaded the Zone Alarm and it locked me out of the web altogether until I deleted it, although that was probably my fault, because I didn't understand how to use it, when I find out I will install it again. It did however find something before it shut me down, it blocked messages about every 5/10 mins, and when I asked for more information it was a "Who is This" panel that came up. Have you any idea what this could be. I have never had a firewall before and couldn't find any clear instructions at the site for newbies like me.

The "box" has not surrendered yet and is happily flitting around my programs, so no luck with that one i'm afraid, maybe when i get this firewall up and running that will help.

Can I get help with building a web site from the Newbie Club, if so, which area do I look in, or, do I start a new discussion.

Thanks for all your help it really is invaluable to me, I am learning a lot from you that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Cheers

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 09:05 pm:

Hi Arline

I would suggest re-installing Zone Alarm and spending some time with the Help file. It's not too difficult a program to use and it is the quickest way to monitor what is trying to connect to the Internet. It is also the quickest way to prevent anything unwanted from connecting. If you're on any sort of permanent connection, then it's an essential piece of kit.

Another way of trying to identify the mystery connector is to go into run/msconfig/startup and untick all the boxes and then reboot. Run the computer for 15 minutes or so. If it doesn't try to connect, run msconfig again, add one start up program back in and follow the above process again. Repeat until the computer starts trying to connect again and the program you re-ticked last should be the culprit. It's a pretty long-winded way of doing it. The trouble is there are any number of programs that will try to connect without permission (e.g. GoHip (avoid!!!), Comet Cursor (avoid!!!), Real Player, most adware etc) - the only surefire way of identifying it without me sitting down in front of your computer, is to try the above or get to grips with Zone Alarm.

As for site design, I'm sure you'll get help here. Just start a new discussion with an appropriate title.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 07:26 am:

Hi Jamie,

Found it, at long last the "box" has been laid to rest. It was the ms messenger, it was the only start up item to bring the box up so i deleted it and then reinstalled it, so far no more problems. I owe you a beer.

Cheers

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bill Crane on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 04:01 am:

I have become very interested in this message board. I know next to nothing about computers and would like to ask.
would your book teach me about these items/problems--- what/how to reboot, etc etc etc
maybe this isn't even the place to ask.
anyway thanks.
bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 11:17 pm:

I have a list of Dial-Up Networking tweaks and fixes that I have compiled during the past 3 years and put to use in my computer. If anyone is interested, just send me a message and request a copy. Although they are designed for Windows 95, most of them will work with Windows 98.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page