Internet Explorer Headaches

TNC Discussion Board: Browser business: Internet Explorer Headaches
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Internet Explorer Headaches  4   06/29 11:00pm
IE internal error problem  15   03/29 04:57pm
C:\Windows\Explorer.exe= assess denied from virus scan  1   12/10 08:21pm
Internet Explorer#6 won't function  10   10/30 11:38pm
IE  1   06/07 01:19pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Aussie on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

I have just wasted 2 days. I am unable to access hotmail or order on-line sites (secure). I receive "This page cannot be displayed" messages. When I tried to download an upgrade from Microsoft, I received "Your current security settings prohibit running activeX controls....". I have cleared my cookies, cache, history. I have refreshed and refreshed. I have upgraded to 5.5. I have torn out my hair and run out of Panadol!! I have also tried changing my security settings.
Constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:07 pm:

Hi
If you type (directly into your browser - you can't click this link) http://support.microsoft.com/ you'll get the support page.

Step 1 choose Internet Explorer
Step2 choose search by article number(I can't remember the exact name of this choice!)
Step 3 - enter the article number "Q154036" and click "GO"

You should get a help file that I think deals with this problem. The title is "Troubleshooting Active Content in Internet Explorer".

If this doesn't help, at the right of the page is a box to click and say that this was no help, and to ask for e-mail support.

Good luck! My IE "died" for a week, then just as I was getting to the re-install everything stage, it started working again!

D Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 01:03 pm:

To "Aussie":

Click "Tools", "Internet Options", then click "Security". Highlight "Internet" and click "Default Level". Highlight "Trusted Sites" and click "Default Level". Highlight "Restricted Sites" and click "Custom Level". Select "Disable" for everything. Click "Apply" and close. Close your browser, then reopen it. Hopefully, that'll take care of your activeX controls warning problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 11:25 am:

Upgrade to IE 5.5 SP1. It incorporates several security and bug fixes.

Have you installed or updated the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine 5.00.3319?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Betty Groblebe on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 06:34 pm:

I am on AOL and have been for over a year, my problem is, how the heck do you get on Internet Explorer? It's on my desk top but when I click it I don't get anything, I have tried everything I can think of and some things won't work without it, any suggestions? I am a newbie for sure but I have learned a lot, this one has thrown me for a loop. HELP Do I even need it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 06:53 pm:

Betty,

First, see if you have Explorer installed as a browser. Right click the blue "e" icon, select properties, and you should see a path in the 'Target' field that looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

The problem with AOL is integration. You dial into AOL, and you use their proprietary interface. When you get on the Internet, you go through their interface. Here's how to circumvent this:

Start AOL. Connect via dialup as usual. Then, when you're connected, minimize the AOL interface to the taskbar.

Now, double click the Internet Explorer icon that should be on your desktop. Internet Explorer browser will open. Type a URL into the address bar and press Enter, and you're surfing.

Best,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

Just to throw in my anti-AOL two cents:

Get another Internet Provider... then you don't have to worry with minimizing AOL and all of that. Plus, you can save a couple bucks a month.

The easiest provider for AOL users to switch to without too many changes is Earthlink. (No, I don't have anything to do with them, just giving my advice.) http://www.earthlink.net

Just my three cents...

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By candy on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 01:51 pm:

Josh - have been thinking of switching to earthlink as our local - Mindwire- is down periodically & even though we have dsl, (but through them) it seems to take awhile to load at 1st - I did see article in local paper that earthlink was filing a chapter 11 - but if it is like a 'franchise' maybe it is just the local people who did that? heard anything on that? Hate to go through the switch & have it go under a week later:)
Thanks
candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 11:03 pm:

Candy:

I have no clue as to earthlink's financial status. I have seen there headquarters... big ole blue building, but that is about all I know. I used them a couple years ago, but I don't use them now. I was just mentioning them because they are the largest ISP (besides AOL), and fight for AOL's customers... that's all I know.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ray kemper on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:14 am:

When I close IE my computer freezes to the point that Ctrl/Alt/Del won't function. I have to cut power to reboot. Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 07:15 am:

Ray,
What version of IE are you using? If it is 5.5 or 6, go to control panel/add/remove/find IE, select it, then click on add/remove, it will give you three options, click on repair. If it is an older version, I don't know what to tell you except you might try "Scandisk" and see if that will find and correct the problem.
I highly recommend that you download IE6 if you don't have it. It is a much better IE than any that precedes it. You can download it from Microsoft Updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ray kemper on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:27 pm:

Richard,

Thank you for the advice. I am currently using IE6. So far,so good no problems since taking your advice. This was my first post to this forum. I'll be back. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lloyd Brush on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

I have IE 6.1 as my browser. When I log on I get a pop up which says No internet connection. I have DSL and it shows i'm connected. I push try again and it continues. Does anyone know how to get rid of this pop up? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By davidacox on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:24 am:

Hi, Guy/Girls why don't you try Opera it is the fastest browser I know of, it is a secure browser apart from online banking for which I use IE
try it,its free.
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eunice Stoneking on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

I have spent the last two months trying to get any kind of help with java Virtual Machine.
My yahoo groups chat applet gives me : I need to download microsoft Virtual Machine.
microsoft dosen't have it any longer and they dont support it and I have installed Sun Java and it still dont work.
I try useing netscape and I have the applet but no voice.
msn can't get it to open, ie dont work at all.
Thanks Eunice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John Gibson on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:02 am:

I have problems with pop-ups that I cannot get rid of no matter what I do. This is with Internet Explorer latest version. I have tried pop-up stoppers in the past with no results. Is there some secret place I should be looking in to delete these annoying programs?
Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jorge Pena on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:37 pm:

I install windows xp professional. Internet explorer 6 cannot find server, DNS error.I am conected to MSN dial up. Need help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 01:31 pm:

I am able to open web sites on my Internet explorer 6 browser. But when I click on an icon from the website, the page will appear for a second and then goes completely blank and ends as 'done' on the task bar. This applies to the 'email pays you' websites whenever I click on a pay-to-click icon. Meanwhile, for other websites, the pages will appear as 'page not found', but when I clicked on the 'back' arrow, the correct page can be found.

I have tried reinstalling the IE 6 browser but the same problem still happens. I can now only depend on one browser (Netscape) which is definitely insufficient. Can anybody advise how I can get back my IE 6 browser and are there any other free browser I can download in my country, Malaysia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 02:31 pm:

The only other that I know doesn't use IE is Mozilla http://www.mozilla.org

The users forum is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/

You may get more help with your IE problem at http://www.tweakxp.com forums, if you're using WinXP. If not let me know and I'll list some other PC forums which may help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:54 pm:

hi, i'm having quite similar problem, i can surf almost all websites, but when it comes to loading forum page for any website it wont load the forum page and the status is 'done'. do i have to change my setting or something? hope anyone can help me here. thank u very much.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page