How do I convert WordPerfect5.1dos to MSWORD2000?

TNC Discussion Board: Workarounds: How do I convert WordPerfect5.1dos to MSWORD2000?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Patije on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

Hard Drive failure in Feb 2003, caused the reinstallation of Windows 98 (by Gateway as it was when I bought it in 2000 and it was up to me to reinstall software updates and hardware.) They did reinstall MS Word2000 for Windows but did not put in the "conversion" software for MSWord to recognize WordPerfect & other text. My licensed copy of MSWord2000 remains missing.
I have many documents in WordPerfect 5.1-Dos and need to convert them to MS Word2000. Since reinstallation, I get error message telling me the "conversion software" is not installed. If I'd like to install it, I need the Word2000 installation disk.

Where can I get the free conversion which is supposed to be on the installation disk which is missing? Or how can I get a WordPerfect conversion to enable me to use with MSWord2000?

I couldn't find it on the Microsoft web page.

Can someone help me?

Gateway Pentium3
Windows 98 Second Edition, 4.10.2222 A
384.0 MB RAM
60+ Hard Drive

Thanks!

Patijé

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

They've hidden it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/beta/tools/BoxA07.htm

Make sure you copy and paste the whole link. The page gives instructions for installing - the old converters have been withdrawn because of a security hole, but these should work for WP and MS Word 2000.

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Patije on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 05:10 am:

Dianne, thank you...but when I go to the URL you posted, I go in circles before I find anything remotely like a converter for WP 5.1 to Word Windows....finally found what I thought was wp 5.1 to Word and got this error message:

The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, you might try the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page.

I don't know my way around the computer/ browsing/ web pages very well, (spent 1 and 1/2 hours just now) but it seems to me that this converter is unavailable at Microsoft.

thanks for trying to help me. surely would like to solve my problem.
Patije

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 06:20 pm:

They don't make it eeasy, do they? Here's a quote:
===================
The Office Converter Pack is copied to your computer by the Office 2003 Resource Kit Setup program, but you must install the files separately. To install the Office Converter Pack, run Oconvpck.exe from the \Program Files\ORKTools\ORK11\TOOLS\Office Converter Pack folder on your computer. This executable file will copy the converter files to a predetermined location on your computer:

Text converters are copied to \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv\
Graphics converters are copied to \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt
=========================
Do you have that file Oconvpck.exe on your PC? (Windows Key +F will bring up the Find box to help you look for it, if it's not in the directory they've given in this quote)

Dianne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Patije on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

Don't I first need to download the Office 2003 Resource Kit Setup and Oconvpck.exe ????

I used FIND and there is no Oconvpck.exe on my computer. My licensed copy of WORD2000 is missing.

When I tried to access the Office 2003 Resource Kit, I was told (by MS on MS web page) it was unavaiiable.

Patijé

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Deb Slatterie on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 06:39 pm:

There's another way to do this without downloads. You can copy the WordPerfect text (control-A, Control-C to highlight all text and then copy to the clipboard) then use Edit - Paste Special - Unformatted Text to paste it into Word 2000. This eliminates all the WordPerfect codes that tend to cause problems in Word. Then the document can have styles added for headings, body text, etc. I use this all the time at work. Our IT staff insists on this method since it cuts out so many problems that conversion utilities create.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page