"Cannot delete. Cannot read from source file..."

TNC Discussion Board: Workarounds: "Cannot delete. Cannot read from source file..."
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:17 am:

I created a new folder in My Documents that I now want to delete. There are no files in this folder. No matter how I try to remove this folder, I just receive the error message:
"Cannot delete. Cannot read from source file..." How can I remove this folder from my computer? I use Windows XP. Will really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. Lois

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:25 am:

Oh Lois...I don't use XP, so I decided to look around some of my favorite sites for an answer for you. The only success story that I found was a guy who deleted using the registry!

Here's the best possibility that I found; try renaming the folder something else (just put .del behind the name, eg, then try to delete it.

There was also a suggestion to try same from safe mode.

Someone else suggested using windows explorer to go to the file, and try the above.

Try these suggestions and let us know what happens!

(Can you believe all this over deleting a stupid folder? Did you ever hear Picard saying, "Computar...one more time...delete foldar"? :-)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page