General - Strange Items on System

TNC Discussion Board: Workarounds: General - Strange Items on System
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doris on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:16 am:

I'm running Wdos. 98, IE6, 350, 256 ram, 512 bus, Norton Firewall and Anti Virus.

The firewall always asks if you want to permit or block items not in your list. That's OK, however, now strange ones pop up (out of the blue) and I have no clue what they are, where they are coming from, etc.

So I went to Windows Explorer searching and saw the following that I had never seen before:

180 solutions
Fleok
msbb (a ha - there is one of them)
Clock Sync
Internet Optimizer (another one)
IST bar
IST svc
QMgr (and another)

Now as I am in and out of MS Internet Explorer I get this in the task bar ---Microsoft... for each instance.

I need some sound advice. Is it safe to delete such items?

I can't image (with my firewall) that someone could have sent them to my computer but........

I sure don't want to have to do a restore AGAIN for the millionth time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:40 pm:

MSBB is an ad system from n-Case (software that installs ads on your system). Here's what microsoft say:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317714
(You'll probably have to copy and paste as this is a long link - sorry!)

I use AdAware from http://www.lavasoft.com to search out and destroy stuff that adware has installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

Qmgr is something to do with Windows auto-update. Here's some gobbldeygook from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816838

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doris on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:58 pm:

Hello dreuby,

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT REPLY!!

Before I found your reply I was so disgusted that I deleted all the above listed that I could from the Add/Remove Program in Control Panel and Windows Explorer. That helped the situation except I was still getting popup ads from MS Int. Expl. which leaves an item on the task bar which reads(---Microsoft Internet Explorer)which must then be closed.

BUT the greatest thing was the Ad-Aware program. I recommend it to everyone.

Sometime ago before the computer crashed I had put Ad-Aware on but never knew what to do with it. I did a scan and all that garbage was in the REgistry so I quarantined 26 items! They all said Data Miner and Malware.
Not sure if I need to tweak it's settings or not.

Just purchased the NC Registry book yesterday and haven't read it yet. Maybe I won't have to now ... lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doris on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:02 pm:

I did a search on QMgr and found an article that states "Microsoft QMGR (sometimes located on your PC in a file called loadme.exe) is part of a programme called Quality Manager - which is installed automatically onto your PC if you use MSN Messenger or MSN Explorer".

Again I can't thank you enough for your help and advice. It's worth a million to me.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page