Running too many programs

TNC Discussion Board: Workarounds: Running too many programs
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Cannot link to plain text url's  1   11/20 02:35pm
Does anyone know?  2   08/28 03:35pm
Does anyone know?  1   08/27 02:39pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

My computer will not shut down correctly and I'm experiencing a slow down in the action, also. If I press alt/cont/delete to see what programs are running, this is what it shows: explorer, exshell, gmt, realplay, tgcmd, wnad, exautoup, swtrayv4, gator, systray, ptsnoop, winampa, cmmpu. Do I need all of these running if I'm just surfing the net? If not, how do I get rid of them? I would appreciate any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 10:05 pm:

Anon,
While reading your post I noticed (WNAD)That may be one of your problems,read the article below.

** URGENT: WNAD, SPYWARE and TROJAN from Twisted Humor

Several days ago, we came across a new game released by the folks at TwistedHumor.com called Yo Mama Osama. This particular website entity is a well known veteran multimedia publishing and broadcast concern, so despite its name, we decided to check it out anyway.

It turns out that this particular entertainment app is everything gone wrong about software. It pops up ads in the background with out the need for a browser (probably using a mini-OCX browser engine). Shortly after installation and during game play, it "secretly" installs a set of executable files in your Windows folder that has little, if anything, to do with the game itself.

Con't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 10:11 pm:

WNAD,
One file, WNAD.EXE, is not a harmless app but does double duty as silent internet ad posting application and internet monitoring tool. The setup of Yo Mama Sama also adds this program to your Windows startup without even informing you.

If you uninstall the "Yo Mama Sama" game, WNAD.EXE will neither be uninstalled or removed from your Windows startup. For us, discovering this was easy, but the unsuspecting consumer is in for an unpleasant surprise.

Here's what you should do if you've already installed this game.

1) To check to see if WNAD is running on your system, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Task Manager. If WNAD.EXE is running, kill the task. You may have to launch CTRL-ALT-DEL to end the WNAD task and thoroughly remove it from memory.

Con't,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 10:14 pm:

WNAD,
2) Launch FileFind and search for WNAD*.* in your default Windows folder.
Delete all files found (wnad.dat, wnad.exe, wnad-update.exe, wnad.lgc).
If you can't delete WNAD.EXE, rename the file to WNAD.EX, restart your system, and then delete the file.

Con't,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 10:15 pm:

WNAD,

3) Since WNAD is added to your startup, eliminate by launching MSCONFIG.EXE (Start/Run/MSCONFIG.EXE). Remove WNAD.EXE from the startup line.

4) Finally, in order to remove all instances and information about WNAD on your system, you'll have to carefully remove entries in your registry on WNAD. Launch RegEdit.exe (Start/Run/RegEdit.exe). Search on HKEY_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\windows\run registry key. WNAD.EXE is listed and it should be removed.
(End)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Heron Glass on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:29 am:

I had download fever when I first got broadband, and there are all kinds of mysteries in my little list -- I've found that when my pc is slowing down or throwing hissy fits I can ctrl-alt-del everything but Explorer and Systray and it seems to help alot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 08:37 pm:

What about EXSHELL? Does anyone know the purpose of that file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vicki on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:29 pm:

TGCMD I have seen that one before on mine Ad-aware got rid of it, it is spyware too. there are countless articles all over the internet about that one. I copied and pasted one below. Caused my computer to freeze up bigtime till adaware caught the little spy and got rid of it.
tgcmd - tgcmd.exe - Process Information
Process File: tgcmd or tgcmd.exe
Process Name: Tgcmdprovidersbc
Description: Spyware from SupportSoft provided to manufacturers, such as Sony (Vaio Support Agent) and Toshiba (Virtual Tech), and ISPs, such as Comcast, Cox and Charter (Pipeline Support Agent), that allows them to offer on-line support. This part ensures that software is installed correctly. Regarded as spyware as it has the ability to retrieve user information.
Company: SupportSoft, Inc
System Process: No Security Risk (Trojan/Adware/Spyware )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vicki on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:44 pm:

do you have a program called "excite@home" or "@home" this has been a common program to create exshell errors. Look in add and remove programs and see it it is listed. In order to remove it you may have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and end task on the running processes of both the exshell and the @home. Then you might have to reboot. I hope this helps

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page