System Resources Drop/ Will Not Recover

TNC Discussion Board: Workarounds: System Resources Drop/ Will Not Recover
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Can't scan disk or refragment my computer  1   12/03 05:14pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Scott Deaver on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:57 am:

Can some body help me? My resources drop constantly over a period of an hour to three to the point that I have to restart. (50-60% resources after that amount of time). Downloading, Internet gaming, and even offline work all have varied effects on my resources but I still need to restart very often. My Compaq is still under warranty but after two dozen phone calls they have not come up with viable a solution. I have nearly all my startups shut down except the bear necessities. I also am running the cursed ME platform. I have also done a complete system restore on this computer 5 times. After the restore it runs well for about a month then starts going down hill again until I can hardly use it then I do a complete restore again. MORE IN THE NEXT POST.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Scott Deaver on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:59 am:

CONT FROM PREV POST: Someone told me that Compaq's System manager was the whole problem and that I should get rid of any files etc that has anything to do with compaq. Could this be my solution, or does somebody have another idea. I have been in touch with compaq so much I have had an open case number with them for 6 months. By the way this computer came out of the box in this condition. MORE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Scott Deaver on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 03:00 am:

CONTINUED AGAIN: It's almost as if a very large program is running all that time and as it takes resources it never gives them back. I have done nearly every kind of tweak imaginable. Alot of the time I even turn off my System Tray, Hideserv, all but the explorer and a few... I mean maybe 4... select system run programs and my resources will be at 97%. Get online for 30 min and resources will be in the low 70's, where then it will creep down only to hang me up. I know this is lengthy but nobody has been able to help me. HELP PLEASE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Barbara on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 10:21 pm:

Scott,
I hope someone has an answer for you. I have nearly the same problem. I have Windows 98, and my System Resources go down to 10-20% after a few hours, if that. I perform regular maintenance of my system, have very little in my system tray, and never use more than one to three programs open at a time. Mine is also a Compaq, 2 years old. System Resources was always a problem, but is getting progressively worse. No one I've asked has a clue what the problem could be.
It's good to know that there's someone who doesn't think I'm making this up!! :)
I hope someone who knows how to help will be kind enough to do so.
Thanks!
Barbara

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ryan on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 10:03 pm:

I am having a serious problem.I was deleting some unused programs and deleted a program that was linked to a DLL file.(MSVCRT.DLL)Now my computer will not start up.The only thing that happens is my background wallpaper shows up and a message saying that a required DLL file is not found.After that nothing.I really need some help.I would like to keep everything on my hard drive if at all possible.PLEASE HELP.Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doris on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:44 pm:

Scott and Barbara - If you ever find a solution I would be greatful for the info. I also have had the same problems on my Compaq running Windows 98 (right out of the box too). Compaq support could never give me an answer.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page