New Battery-Lost the Printer

TNC Discussion Board: Workarounds: New Battery-Lost the Printer
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ro on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 11:56 pm:

I changed the CMOS battery on my computer, but lost the ability to print in the process.

The computer hangs on boot-up, says "Com B configuration changed". I can continue bootup and everything seems to work but the printer.

If I go to setup, it says there is a conflict on Serial Port B. But I don't know how to find the conflict.

I have tried reinstalling the printer, but it is not recognized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 08:24 am:

Ok, the problem here is some bios setting got changed when the battery was out for the period of time in changing it.

Once it's out for about 2-3 minutes, BIOS resets itself, losing all the information stored there.

Computers are different, so I can't be specific on what to do, except to say, you will need to play around in the BIOS looking for the COM B information.

To get in BIOS, press DEL or F1 after turning the pc on. Just press it several times until it enters setup.

Navigate using the arrow keys and enter, and look for a line that has something to do with configuring COM B. What you want to do is disable it if possible.

If you cannot find a way to disable it, then change the value of the resources it is using to something besides IRQ 7.

If you can't do that, change it's value to a different choice available, even if it's still under IRQ 7.

Post back if you have any difficulties.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page