Licensing

TNC Discussion Board: Software Concerns: Licensing
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

Is anyone concerned about licensing software? Does anyone ever read the agreements before they click the OK button to install new software? Does anyone know what an End User Licensing Agreement is? (EULA)

I doubt many folks are even curious about this. Today on the radio there was an advertisment for a company that's checking businesses for licensed software. If the company doensn't have licenses for each "seat" (each computer workstation) they can be fined $150,000.

I don't suppose it matters much to those of us who don't have a business. All the same, it makes for interesting discussion in some circles. This may not be the right place, but I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone to bite on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 - 05:19 pm:

Don't worry anon, with windows XP, you can't even attempt to break the EULA. And at 99.00 an upgrade, it's a steal! (notice the sarcasm in the above lines.)

The rules in the agreements are never enforced on home pc's or small businesses. The real problem is in large corporations that will use the same peice of software on several hundred machines. The only other time this is really enforced is when a small computer company attempts to sell machines without proper licensing, or someone attempts to burn many copies of software and sell it.

As a individual user, you can pretty much do whatever you want, although it is still illegal.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page