Virus assistance please!

TNC Discussion Board: Software Concerns: Virus Scan Software: Virus assistance please!
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
AVG Isolated A Virus In It's Vault, Now What?  1   02/13 04:25pm
Antivirus freeware  3   06/17 08:23am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 10:01 pm:

I had a w32.magstr virus on my computer. My equipment hadn't detected it. I went to the Cyber Tech web site and used their on line scan. After a few minutes it said that it was found and now all was clear. Is this all I need to do? How do I know where the virus came from? or what to look for in case it changed something. They didn't teach us anything about that in my computer classes! Please explain to this older newbie what I need to do other than maybe get a better Anti-virus!
Which one would you suggest that's user friendly for people like me. Thanks for you time and trouble. I am running windows 98

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 12:01 am:

I use InoculateIT, and I've found it easy to use. I haven't had problems with a virus yet - but I never open e-mails with attachments, or e-mails with odd looking subject lines. I think most viruses spread by infecting a machine, then sending itself to every address in the address book of the users e-mail program.

I also use Eudora e-mail program, which includes a preview pane so you can read the e-mail without opening it (is that right? I don't see how it can, but it does!)

InoculateIt updates the virus sigs easily, and seems to have regular updates (sometimes two or three a week). It was free, but now has a charge. (I think about US$20, but I may be wrong).

It scans email as well as the hard drive. I got it from http://antivirus.cai.com

Any-one else got any recommendations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 07:26 am:

What about this? It's free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 09:55 pm:

Hi There

I'm looking at getting a anti-virus protector for my computer, are the likes of Norton, Mcaffe the best or are there free ones that are just as good that you can download from the internet, if so does any one have any url addresses.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:26 pm:

Anon,
Here is the URL for a good free one.
www.grisoft.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 09:19 pm:

Thanks Richard for the url address, I will have a look at it.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page