Win 2000 CPU usage at 70-100%

TNC Discussion Board: Software Concerns: Win 2000 CPU usage at 70-100%
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Roboman on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 11:18 pm:

My windows 2000 has been running fine until recently. For some strange reason, my mouse cursor starts moving erratically. When I check my task manager, I see that the CPU is burning up the hard drive. 70, 80, 90 percent usage. And this is when I'm checking my email or just surfing in general. My system has 384 MB Ram and the system still keeps notifying me that my paging file is too small and it is being enlarged. What could be causing this? With the amount of memory in my system, it shouldn't rely on the paging file nearly this much. Any idea?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By InfiniteZer0 on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 02:43 am:

sounds like malfunctioning software to me, perhaps an application, service or driver is not doing what it should be or it could even be a conflict between several software applications running on the system at the same time, and i'm not talking internet explorer and word conflicting, i'm talking about maybe a driver conflicting with a specialized service running on your computer in the background. as a technician i saw this more times than i'd like to admit but the good news is re-installing windows 2000 cleared it up in about 98% of cases... if you have a spare 2 hours i would totally suggest doing a clean install of windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By InfiniteZer0 on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 02:43 am:

also you should be manualy managing that pagefile if you have 384MB of system ram, go to properties of "my computer" by right clicking it then click on to the "advanced" tab then click "settings" (there are 3, click the top one)
next click advanced again and click change in the bottom right corner of the screen, choose "custom size" then set the minimum and maximum to the same ammount ( in your case it should be 576MB ) 1.5 times the size of your system ram. next click on set and you are done.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page