How to use a cdwriter

TNC Discussion Board: Software Concerns: How to use a cdwriter
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lesley simpson on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 01:24 pm:

I've aquired a cdwriter with no instructions. I want to copy files from my briefcase onto cd, and don't know how to do this. Can anyone help please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 07:17 pm:

Lesley,
Need a bit more information. What brand, model, etc. is the CD writer. Is it internal or external? When all else fails, you should be able to go to the manufactors web page and get some instructions on operation. If it happens to be a HP 8200 series, external, then I can give you step by step. Most of them work very similar to each other, but sometimes the steps are not exactly the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lesley on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 09:30 pm:

Thank you Richard, for responding. All I know is its a Sony, its internal, and came with my machine which I bought second hand. I'll try the Sony site. Silly me for thinking this was a standard procedure for all cdwriters!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lesley on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 05:45 pm:

hello again
Sony website merely shows cd/cdrw as discontinued
so I can't get any help from there. My cdwriter is actually in a drawer, so perhaps it is external after all. If anyone can give me the general procedures to try copying from my briefcase onto cd, I would be ever so grateful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 07:13 pm:

Lesley,
You gave me a good chuckle. ;o) Yep, if your CD writer is in a drawer, it most likely is an "External", unless for some reason it has been removed from your computer. If it was originally an "Internal", then you should have an empty slot on the front of your computer. In start/programs, is your CD writer there? If not, do you have the software (CD) to install it? If it is already in the programs, open it and search the "Help" files for that program. If it is not already in Programs, and you have the Installation CD for it, install the software. If you don't have the Installation CD and it is not already in your programs, then I am afraid you are out of luck. If Sony no longer supports that particular model, then it is probably quite old. If you can give me the model number, I will see if I can find out anything about it. To be continued.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 07:38 pm:

Lesley, continuing...
I will give you my step by step for writing a CD with my CD Writer (HP8200 series, external). Open the program - Select which type of CD you want to make, i.e.; Music, Data or copy that will play on any PC - Data CD to be used only on this PC - Backup your PC information to a CD. For arguments sake lets assume that you want to put "data" (includes text, pictures, music, etc.) on a CD and want it to play on any PC (or if music, on any CD player).
Next select which type of blank CD you are going to use, either CD-R or CD-RW,(I suggest CD-R), if using a CD-R, you cannot erase anything that you put on it, however, you can add more to it at a later date as long as there is more room on the disk. With a CD-RW, you can erase something and write over it, but a CD-RW is more expensive and some old CD-ROM's will not read them. Next page.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 08:00 pm:

Lesley, More......
On the next window I am asked what I want to do, either make an exact copy of another CD or Create a new CD. I choose, Create a new CD. Then I will be instructed to place a blank CD in the writer tray, then it will ask which folder or files I wish to copy, navigate to where your files are, then click next, it will go through 3 steps - Check read speed - write the CD - Verify the CD. Once these 3 steps are done, it will eject the finished CD and you are done.
Here is a link to some information on the internet;
http://www.cdrecordingsoftware.com/cdrecsof.html

I use the Google search engine to find information on nearly anything, if you don't have it, you can get it here: www.google.com
It is, in my opinion the best search engine available and it is free. Once you get it, just type in CD writers (or CD burners) in the search box and you will be able to find a wealth of information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lesley on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 06:50 pm:

Thank you Richard for all your help - now you
can chuckle some more - I didn't have the software
installed !! So I managed to use it today, and have so far copied text only - so I'm off on an adventure to try mp3, etc.
Do you do this for a living - if not why not?
Thanks again - I'm off for a bottle of wine to celebrate learning something new today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 11:21 pm:

Lesley, Hey! That is great. Its always gratifying to hear that something worked for someone. I have never messed with MP-3's, so you are on your own in that adventure. I use my Cd-Writer mostly for storing pictures. I have a very good digital camera (Olympus C-3000 Zoom, 3.4mp), a great printer (HP1215 Photosmart) and a scanner (Epson Perfection 1650 Photo ,that can also scan negatives and slides). I have literally, thousands of pictures on CD's. I also do geneology and have a lot of old pictures that I have managed to copy and save to CD's. I bought my first (and only) computer when I turned 65 (3 years ago), before then I had never even been close to one. Anything I have learned has been mostly from trial and error and spending a lot of time on the web searching for answers.

No, I don't do this for a living, my knowledge is way too limited, but thank you for the nice words.
Have fun with your new found skills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Evelyn Hendricks on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 08:45 am:

This was interesting reading. I, too, got my first computer when I turned 65. Up until that time I knew practically nothing about computers. I recognized one as being a computer if I saw one, but that is about all. I am now 75 and thoroughly enjoy my computer. I am completely self-taught and so really like sites like this one.
I always wondered if the way I was burning my CDR's was the correct way. Thanks for verifying this. They worked for me, but I still had a little nagging doubt. I even took one to my brother's and put it on his computer to see if it really would work on another computer.
Evelyn

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page