XP Firewall

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: XP Firewall
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Virtual Memory Low  2   10/01 04:09pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By steve on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 08:15 pm:

Check that your xp firewall is on. It is usually turned off by default.

Control panel - double click network connections.

This shows one or more dial up or broadband connections.

Right click the one you want to protect and select properties.

Click the advanced tab - at the top is the internet connection firewall. Tick the box to turn it on.

This is only for that connection - if more than one, repeat.

Is it working? Log hack attacks....

Click settings and security logging - then tick
Log dropped packets - Attacks are then written to the plain text file... c:\windows\pfirewall.log. Can be loaded into notepad.

Best to install McAfee or such like.

Hope this may help someone.

Regards steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 07:34 pm:

Hi Steve,

nice to have you here helping people.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Steve on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your comment.

From what I have seen, you should be thanked by many for all the positive and helpfull advice you have given.

sincerley,

Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CD on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 09:15 pm:

1394 connected. AOL Lucent modem not connected. I put firewall on 1394. Does the AOL have to be connected?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 08:02 pm:

dump aol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:42 pm:

Dear Steve (or anyone who can help)
On the third step (right click the one you want and select properties), when I do that the menu disappears. Also, in the Network Connections window it shows America Online- TYPE;Dial-Up it says STATUS;Disconnected though I'm obviously still online. What's up? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chronos55 on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:31 pm:

the inbuilt firewall with windows XP will not work with AOL.use zone alarm it is good and it is free

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:20 am:

Is there a newbie out their that can tell me how to replace the Windows Service Pack #2 Firewall with ZONE ALARM FIREWALL?? How do I accomplish this? Thank You in advance.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page