Problems with free newbie e books

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Problems with free newbie e books
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Desperarate Dan on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 09:34 pm:

Hello,

I recently downloaded the free Newbie e books.
Some of them work but the umguide and handbook will not.

An I/O 32 error appears, plus an unregistered page looking for a user name and serial number.

Also the 55e book just wont respond.

Can anyone please help.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Desperate Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fred Hoffman on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 09:51 pm:

Hey Dan,

I'm just guessing, but based on recent performance, I would guess that the Newbie Club is undergoing a serious transformation.
Instead of a club for new users it is becoming a club of email addresses TO BE USED.
I have been a member for several years and until recently would have had only good things to say about it.
The forum has become simply a place to ask questions--------answers are few and far between.
The "clinic" seems to have disappeared.
Three weeks ago I signed up and paid for a web hosting package thru the club. No response to my purchase or to the thirteen emails I have sent to the Newbie "support" addresses (and believe me I have tried them all.
(continued)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fred Hoffman on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 09:52 pm:

I think that Mr. Robson and his crew are simply setting about harvesting sales from all the newbie email address they have collected over the years. Have you noticed the "special bulletins"?
And how about the most recent newsletter? More ads than content.
For your own information, why don't you try to contact Newbie support? Please let me know if you get a response.
I really want the CLUB to be on the up and up-----it figured very prominently in the new web site I am building; but I certainly won't be adding any references to the club on my site till I see a return to the ways of the "old club"
Please, please, SOMEBODY PROVE ME WRONG!!
Best of luck,

Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dan on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 01:32 pm:

Thanks for responding Fred.

I am new to the club so I cannot really comment.

I must admit I did try support with no luck, hence my message.

All the best for the future Fred, thanx again.

Still desperate, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 07:39 pm:

Dan, sorry about the problems you have had.

Fred, I personally disagree...I don't think that the newbie club has any alterior motives. I do think that the newbie club has become very "bare" of helpstaff. And without the support, Joe (and whoever else, can't be very many people...) cannot keep up.

It is unfortunate, but hopefully it will turn around.

Josh Lowe

PS - Fred, hows the new hosting going? Did it all setup ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 02:05 am:

From the time that the original creator of the Newbie Club (Tom Glander), left for greener pastures, this place has gone steadily downhill. In my opinion, the newsletter has turned into nothing more than advertisements for Joe Robson's benefit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fred Hoffman on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 05:10 pm:

Hey Josh,

I am so glad to hear that you are still optimistic about the Club. I SO want to be. My sincerest apologies to Joe and his crew if you are correct.

I will load my Newbie Club page as soon as I see some evidence to support your optimism.

As for the hosting, IT COULDN'T BE BETTER. For $2.95 a month, wired-hub.net is treating me as if I were their most important customer. I transferred my domain registration to them and renewed for a year

As you said, their support is beyond belief----so much so that my site is "up and running" in record time. It still needs a lot of work, but with the kind of help I have been receiving, it's only a matter of finding the time till my site will be first class. Drop in and say hello when you run out of other things to do:

http://www.therestiseasy.com

Any comments, constructive or otherwise will be appreciated.

Gratefully yours,
Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fred Hoffman on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 04:37 am:

Hey Josh,

I'm pretty sure that with all of your computer knowledge, you must have a website or two someplace.

Are you ever gonna share your web address with us so we can see you in action?

Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 06:53 pm:

Hey Fred,

thanks for asking... my business address is http://www.dyno-mite.com - however, I don't really do this type of stuff anymore, I have too much going on to dedicate time.

And my personal site is http://www.joshlowe.com

Mainly, right now I just do refferal computer work for people. Once I graduate this semester, I will be able to start spending more time doing computer work.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 01:40 am:

Help! This is to anyone who might answer. I am thinking of buying Windows For Newbies but, I am running WinXpHome. Can anyone tell me if "WFN" will work for me? Thanks in advance. Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 02:24 am:

Anon,
Unless they have up-dated "WFN" recently (which I doubt), there won't be anything about XP in it. It was written about 3 years ago and was all about W98. The basics on Windows still applies though even for XP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dan on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:12 pm:

sorry I asked

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cd on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 05:39 pm:

I downloaded a free sample called "Builder" trial. It was user-friendly, downloaded and ran smoothly.

So I paid $20 some odd dollars for the full program from the newbies.club. I downloaded it and unzipped and instantly received 2 emails thanking me for buying it.

I can not get it opened. I wrote many emails to the address they gave me as reference. No response after 3 days and many emails shouting help.

Even the implied insult that "hopefully they are not like MSN, wanting my order, responding to all queries...until they get the money"...provoked no answer.

Now, the bottom line is not that they do not answer me (which is certainly an underlying issue) but I CAN'T USE THE PROGRAM THAT I PAID FOR! WHO DO I COMPLAIN TO? IF YOU LOSE YOUR MONEY ON THE WEB, ARE YOU JUST OUT? My next step is to contact my credit company and stop charges.

Thank you to any one who can either tell me how to open the program "Builder", or direct me to someone in the company who can tell me. CD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 01:45 am:

Since my new computer has XP home and word I have been unable to read the documents I saved to disks from my old computer which had works. Is there any way I can read works documents on word?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

I *thought* Word was backeards compatible, but I must be wrong! You could check out the MS support at http://support.microsoft.com where you can choose your program and type in your question - I usually find an answer there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:19 pm:

I also have been a member for a couple of years. Although the newbie club is intended for people who are new, it also has information that more experenced users can benefit by. I have seen changes myself. It is not the same when I first became a member. I personally do not think it is intentional that more ads appear or how it is run but I have personally experienced many hundreds of meaningful help web sites or newsletters which have changed. Many times it is due to growth, additions, affiliates, change in management, and more features which tend to be costly. Over time, having a free, well run site is not usually the result. There has to be a tradeoff. Either members will have to pay a yearly fee or else there has to be funding somewhere and that comes from ads. Seven years ago, the internet was pretty clean but things change.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Deb Slatterie on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 10:50 pm:

cd,
Please consider the possibility that your ISP is blocking the reply email from Newbie Club. I had this happen a couple of years ago with a web host. They answered my emails asking for help, but I never received them. Tried sending email to them from another email system and finally did receive an answer at that address - they were able to give me the dates, etc. when they had sent replies earlier to the first email address, so it was filtering software that caused the problem, not the web host.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:58 am:

CD, are you getting an error message when you try to open the book? What version of Windows do you have?

The full version is created with the same software as the trial version, so if one works on your PC, the other should too. It may be that the file was corrupted during the download - but this seems unlikely if you have unzipped it OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 06:22 pm:

hi
please help. when i install sp2 to xp. then my e-books won,t open up.i want sp2 for security, but i want my e-books to.i have windows for newbies, and pc companion.they cost good money. can any one help me to keep sp2 and also my books. if i go back to sp1., everything works fine again.
thanks
bill

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page