Virtual Memory

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Virtual Memory
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Disc cleanup on XP...NOT!!!...*L*  1   12/27 10:33pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Christine on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 08:02 pm:

I've had my computer for two months, and I'm constantly getting the message:

Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied.

Why do I keep getting this message after only two months, and how do I solve this problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Colin on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:17 am:

Do a system cleanup. Weekly maintenance is a must in XP. Look under your all programs\accessories\system tools and do a cleanup.The first one can take some time. After cleaning defrag and once a month run error checking. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 10:32 pm:

hello all,
Now heres my problem. I have tried to run disc cleanup on XP several times. It starts to scan the drive to about 10% then stops. completely!! any ideas? ive shut everything down that i can thru ctrl / alt / delete, but doesnt help.

Thanks!!

Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:16 pm:

Does your computer freeze up and have to reboot? How large is your hard drive and is there at least 10% available space left? Is your hard drive heavily fragmented? You can see this by all the scattered files all over the place. If there a lot of red areas when viewing the defragmenter, this can be a cause of problems. Not only that, but your hard drive can overwork to the extent that the drive is being tortured in trying to find files that is scattered all over the place. In otherwords, the poor hard drive is going to wear out sooner than you expect. If you hear it chattering, that is bad.

Part 2 of this message is continued

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmek on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:17 pm:

When the chattering becomes squealing, you have had the most unfortunate experience of a physical hard drive crash which means that the heads crashed on the platters. This I know because I spent quite a number of years in hard drive technology. Before that happens, clean up your computer. If you are still getting freezeups or other unnatural problems, then it may be time to reinstall your operating system. Also run You can run a test to see if areas of your disk is bad. It will tell you of how areas on the disk is unusable and give you the option of letting the program try to reorganize the files. What it really does is manipulates files stored into good sectors on the disk. You will be unable to use the bad sections on the disk. If there are too many, then it may be feasible to replace the drive.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bonnie Howell on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 02:28 pm:

I have been getting the message "your system is low on virtual memory...." too for quite some time. I have tried cleaning up my hard drive too, but it stops before it's complete. I think I need to reinstall Windows XP, but it was on it when bought it new and there were not any CD's with it. I get all the Windows updates automatically and I increased my RAM to 384 but still have this problem. How can I get a copy of Windows XP (that I have already paid for) without having to buy it again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 07:27 pm:

The only way is to contact the people you bought from, and demand your rights. The only other way would be to buy a new copy - and why should you when you've paid for it?

If they're a legit firm, it may just have been an oversight.

To increase your virtual memory, go to Control Panel, System, and choose the Advanced tab. In the performance box, click the Settings button, and then the Advanced tab. At the bottom, it shows your virtual memory allocation (mine is set at 383Mb) and click the Change button if you want to increase your virtual memory setting.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page