Is installing Windows updates Safe on XP??

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Is installing Windows updates Safe on XP??
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Aurelia M. Williams on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:14 pm:

I haven't done a windows update on my pc (which is just about a year old). Before proceeding I've lurked around on boards such as this and I'm hearing HORROR stories of updates gone bad, systems crashing or near crashing. Are these updates safe? I work from home on my PC and tend to just leave things alone on my pc as when I download 1 thing..something else seems to break ;)

BTW the problem that I've been hearing about concerns the installation of the Service Pack. It says that I have 22 critical updates to make (gulp).

Thanks for your help & Yes, I am a nervous Nelly.

Thanks

Aurelia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:41 am:

My advive is don't do it.I tried doing security update and it told me I had 20+ updates to do, I ok'd it and had a heck of a time recovering when screen went black.I had to reinstall xp with lots of help from Dell.(days worth of phone calls) to reinstall this driver and that driver,this program and that.I'd live without updates from now on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 10:26 am:

That'a right don't do it! I've just downloaded updates from microsoft and now my screen went black , not even safemode could restart it. I guess I'd be calling HP now to help me fix this mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jackie on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

My XP updated and it got a Security Risk Virus that Norton could not get into the file. I removed the update and went to HP and downloaded a patch. After another Norton scan I was free of the virus. Should I remove the auromatic updates or just leave it on? Thanks, Jackie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave_Cat on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 09:12 pm:

As of June 1 2003 all updates have been fixed by MS. They have removed several that were destroying our systems. We had to format and reinstall everything. What a mess.
Here is a site that has been a grand help for us.
http://www.langa.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 03:21 pm:

I've been doing the updates as they come along...and haven't had any problems at all. RECX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:56 pm:

Be careful about this. Although I have found pros and cons, still the updates that are critical should be installed. I know, I know, it is very confusing and there are no real clear cut answers. I would say better safe than sorry. True, Microsoft is always adding this and that and true, you don't always know which patch is good or bad. I have the same problem as probably many millions of other users do when using Microsoft products. It is sad to say, these patches have bugs. Microsoft did too little too late! We have to take care of our own problems. Who else will??

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Deb Slatterie on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 11:12 pm:

I've been keeping up with the updates as they come along too (using the popup reminder service from MS, which tracks what changes are available that you haven't downloaded yet). No problems so far, and it prevented me from getting the recent Sobig virus. Sure was glad for that!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nfl on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 04:28 am:

Waited 5 months-Installed service pack #1 on Thurs night.Friday morning disaster!No video.Cant get into safe mode or bios.Hard drive activity light stays on.Floppie light wont come on.CD will spin up.Still nothing.Think it was a coincidence and I have a hardware problem occuring the same time the SP was installed?I DONT!!This wont be an easy fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:08 am:

Perhaps it will. Go to Safe Mode, then go to MS and download the service pack again.

Let us know what happens.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page