XP crashes, and PC starts up again... help

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: XP crashes, and PC starts up again... help
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dirk on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

Hi,

My Pentium 4 PC runs on Windows XP, and sometimes it just stops working and then reboots from itself. It's like someone is pulling out the electricity plug...
Is there a chance that I have some kind of a virus or spyware running?
I checked my hard disk with Norton AntiVirus (the latest update), but didn't find anything suspicious...
I am also behind a Norton firewall...
Sometimes I can work for hours on my PC, without any problems, and sometimes when I check my email, or visit a web site, the system crashes, and restarts...
Can anyone help me out please? Any ideas what is going wrong with my system?

Thanks, Dirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 06:33 pm:

Have you installed anything lately?

Have you installed (or not installed!) any windows updates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dirk on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:49 am:

Yes, my system is configured to automatically download and install the latest windows updates.

Dirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:14 am:

I found that one WinUpdate killed my system completely - I had to use the safe mode/restore as Windows wouldn't load. I've only been using XP 2 months, so I haven't looked into why!

It could be due to overheating - make sure the air vents are clear. If you're brave, you could take off the case and blow off any dust/fluff around the fan. Or get someone with PC maintenance experience to do it (that's what I do!).

If it's fairly new, that shouldn't be the problem, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:15 am:

You could try the MS support site
http://support.microsoft.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dirk on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:36 pm:

Thanks for the help, Diane!

Dirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bill Miller on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

I'am having the same problem and it started when I put in new memory. I made a mistake and put in pny memory in my Compaq computer and had all kinds of problems untill I got it out of there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:21 pm:

The viruses we been having lately did cause my computer to reboot automatically. I eradicated the virus and now it boots normally. You would be surprised what these viruses can do.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linda on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 03:04 pm:

dreuby---I'm having that problem now--How do I reboot in safe mode? thanx linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:38 pm:

Press F8 when your PC starts to boot - when the black screen is still showing. It will let you choose which mode to go into.

Dianne Reuby

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page