RUNDLL error

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: RUNDLL error
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:21 pm:

When I first turn my computer on, an error message pops up. It says RUNDLL - Error loading C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiefr40.dll - the specified module could not be found.

I suspect something happened when I was running Lavasoft's AdAware 6. I always eliminate everything it brings up, and maybe I eliminated something I shouldn't have.

Does anyone know what this message means and have I fouled up my computer somehow? What do I do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:35 pm:

For some reason, a change in the DLL has taken place. Since these are system files, it is imperative to the operation of your computer. Adaware of course picks up many spyware and it is just possible that even though the file was deleted, it could be that this DLL has not been deleted and is an orphan. I do not know if you have a good system cleaner which has a scan for orphan DLL's and other things in the registry. There used to be free downloads of these scanners but they were free beta programs. Once they are released, then it becomes shareware where you get to use it for a limited of time than having to buy it or else you cannot use it. You can try going to www.webattack.com where there are thousands of downloads. I have used them for a number of years and I highly recommend their web site. Don't let the name of the site mislead you by the name. They are an excellent resource.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:33 am:

Actually, as I was doing a little homework on this, I discovered an instance of this problem after running Adaware. I was a bit surprised.

First thing to try is to boot into safe mode and select the repair option. You'll need your disk; insert it when asked.

It should find that missing file and replace it.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page