Windows XP Sys. Tray

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Windows XP Sys. Tray
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:00 am:

Please tell me how to remove an item from the system tray. Deleting doesn't do it. Can't find a way to do it on the control panel. Is this a big mystery or a little misery?? My frustration level is rising. Please explain how simple this is! Thank you...Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:31 am:

Hi Linda
go to start menu and press RUN
in the box that appears type msconfig then press ok a box will pop up with varios options
click on start up
a number of programs will appear in the box.
untick the ones you don`t want to run
Press apply then press close
you will have to restart the computer for the actions to apply.
hope this helps Tex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:28 am:

Thanks Tex, I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere. I will try that. Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

addition to above
If msconfig doesn`t work sometimes there is a an option within the program settings that tells it to start with windows, if so you need to untick that box
Tex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:20 pm:

Hi Linda:

When you reboot, you might get a window that says winconfig is set to maintenance mode. That is because it was changed. There is a box on the left side of that window which opts you to not be reminded anymore or otherwise it will be there again after a reboot. After you add a check in the box, you should not see it anymore. The computer should work OK. More stuff in the sys tray causes more memory to be used and all these programs are trying to be first to load and may cause system freezeups if there are too many. This doesn't change msconfig to normal mode and more than likely will be on maintenance. To rid of this, you can access each program in question and go to preferences. Most can be set not to load on startup. Then you can set the msconfig to mormal mode.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

The message above had more info on it. Since this forum doesn't allow more than 1Kb for a message, I tried to split it in two parts. I don't know what happened to the other part.

Note the top sentence of my response. It probably confusing to you because you are wondering why in the world would the msconfig be set to maintenance mode. This is telling you that you made the change and the system has been configured which is making you aware of that. The configuration tool is very powerful and use care when changing things. When you make a change in startup, you have to reboot for the change to take effect.

zzmel

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page