SAVING PICTURES TO HARD DRIVE

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: SAVING PICTURES TO HARD DRIVE
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
How do I save animated pictures on XP?  1   05/10 11:04pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By purplehearts on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 06:43 am:

I was sent some pictures to my email. I have tried several times to save them to the hard drive. When I try to open them this is what I have ended up with:
Box with red x in it.
Message: 'Windows has encountered a problem and will close now'.
What am I doing wrong? How do I save them to my hard drive? I hope someone can help. And "thanks" in advance. Carolyn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

Starting at step one...

When I save pictures to me drive, I right click the picture, select "save picture as", select the My Pictures folder in My Documents, and click Save. This is the general rule for all Windows OS's. Is this what you are doing? If so, we'll go to step 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By purplehearts on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 10:02 pm:

Thanks. That is what I have been doing. So I think we need to go to Step 2. Carolyn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

Sometimes, people use odd formats when they send things via email, especially if they are not sent as attachments.

Go to one of those pictures, right click on it, and choose properties. Let me know what format (jpeg, mpeg, etc) that they are in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By purplehearts on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:28 am:

I don't have any of the pictures. I have lost them all. All I have is red x's or 'no preview available'. There's nothing there. And I have already deleted them from my email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

I spent some time looking around, and it appears that there are several possibilities. Actually, 'Windows has encountered a problem and will close now' should have tipped me off, but it didn't.

This behavior could be caused by a corrupted Operating System, which would indicate the need to go through a repair process.

It could also mean a system that has been harmed by a Virus, Trojan, etc, which would indicate a need for a thorough search for "bad boys", and their removal.

The files sent to you were corrupt (perhaps infected) which would mean they are lost. (see Part2)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

Some questions:

Do you have up-to-date antivirus protection installed, and does it automatically scan attachments?

Do you have a firewall (other than XP's) running?

Have you installed any new software recently?

Has whoever sent you these pictures had any problems with their computer?

I don't absolutely have to have the answer to the last question to begin troubleshooting. The rest of the answers will tell me where to begin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By purplehearts on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 03:53 am:

I may have a corrupted system,because there are some things I try to do, and I get this message:c:\documentsand settings\owner\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.ie5 does not exist. When I click Okay, I get the message: A problem occurred extracting files to c:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\
Yes, I have Norton's installed. Plus AVG anti virus. And they both scan my email.
I think there's a firewall with my Norton's.
I don't remember installing anything before I started having problems. But I could have. I have since though.
No, they haven't had any problems with their computer.
I started having all these problems, after I started deleting all those attempts at saving the pictures. Thanks for all the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:18 am:

Nosed around a bit...

content.ie5 is a folder in the temporary section that holds recently downloaded materials.

It appears that if one accidentally deletes this folder, a new one is created at the next bootup.

One person reported all sorts of problems with this and it was suggested to her that she run scandisk. This seems to have cleared up her problems.

It sounds fair to me. If you do not run scan disk frequently (you should), I would recommend that you go into safe mode before running it. Scan disk can take quite awhile, and safe mose decreases the time by giving more resources to the process. Not run regularly, I have seen it take several hours.

Start - programs - accessories - system tools - scan disk.

Let me know how this goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By purplehearts on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:22 am:

Hi, it took me all afternoon, to find 'scandisk'. It wasn't in System Tools. And it is now called Check Disk. Anyway, I ran it. I still get the message 'it doesn't exist'. I ran Spybot & it found 135 problems. I haven't done any thing with them yet. I'm afraid I'll get rid of something I need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:58 am:

Spybot is very good at picking and choosing (very conservative, as well), Check everything that is in RED and have Spybot fix them. With that many items, I would recommend that you reboot after Spybot is finished.

I think, under these circumstances, we probably should look at a Hujack This log, but let's see where we are at after Spybot does it's thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By purplehearts on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 02:18 am:

I ran Spybot again & had all the problems corrected. It couldn't do them all because some were in use. Wanted to know if it could run again on startup, so it could fix those. So I let it. Then I ran 'hijackthis', but don't have any idea what to do with it's results. I still get the message 'does not exist'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

After the scan, the create log button becomes "save log". Click that; the saved log will usually come up in notepad. Save the file to My Docs, then send it on to me by email and I will have a look at it.

Alternatively, you can post it here, but, depending on it's size, it can take 5 or 6 messages to get it all in, and it does make it a bit harder for me to use.

As to re-running Spybot, I would recommend that you go into Safe Mode and run it there. Safe Mode will not start many of the processes that the spies may be using.

Please run Spybot again before you send or post a log.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D. H. Cesare on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:30 am:

You might run the new version of Ad-Aware along with SpyBot, also. I've found that the 2 compliment each other; one finding stuff the other missed.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page