Help on back up for XP

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Help on back up for XP
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By R. Cox on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:48 pm:

I just got my cd's for my XP,and was told there was a back up program in my tools,or I need to install it from my cd's that came with my XP.Well it's not in my tools,and I have 7 cd's that came with XP.How do I install the back-up on the cd's with out doing a system recovery? Which cd do I put in to find it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:15 pm:

This is from the MS site via the help file:
Manually Install the Backup Utility
To manually install Backup:
1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:
CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

(Replace "CD-ROM Drive" with your drive letter).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:16 pm:

BTW, I've only got 1 CD with my XP - take a look at the others and see what info they give on the front, or check them in Windows Explorer. They may be drivers, software, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Romona Cox on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:36 pm:

I checked all 7 cd's and haven't found any file or folder that reads NTBackup.msi.Is there something that I'm missing? Really hate to restore my computer just to find this back-up program.I'm desperate to find a good back-up program,where I can make a cd of all the stuff I want to keep,in case something goes wrong.I've tried (downloaded) a number of programs that clam to write to cd's but I can't get them to work,becouse they tell me I don't have the right driver.Even tried to download the driver,and still didn't work.I need help..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:12 pm:

I've just looked at mine, and that path was OK. I'm running XP Home, and only have the one CD. It's a standard MS Cd, with all the holograph labels, and says Windows XP Home Edition.

You shouldn't need to restore to find this program - does one of your CDs match the one I've described? Are you using Home or Pro edition?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Romona Cox on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:39 pm:

I am running windows home xp. my disc saids
hp pavilion home pc
system recovery
WinXP Home Edition disc 1

I have 6 more that say the same thing,and I've ck all of them.Can't find any file with that path on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:47 pm:

Romona, If that's a system recovery disc, it's not the Windows XP installation. It can be used to recover Windows if you have a major crash or problem, but it can't be used to reinstall Windows, or to install stuff that wasn't installed originally.

You may have to ask your PC supplier for the XP installation disc - it should have come with your PC.

Have your discs got all the Microsoft hologram stuff on the front?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Romona Cox on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:28 pm:

I bought my PC at a Staples store,and no XP ingtallation disc came with it.No disk came with it at all. I had to call HP for these disk,which I thought I was getting the backup disk,sence thats what I asked for.Guess I'll have to call again.The disk I have now doesn't have any hologram stuff on the front,only what I wrote before.So do I call MS or HP? Hope I have better luck this time as these cost me and still don't have what I really need,lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 01:17 pm:

Is there a sticky label on your PC itself, that gives your Product key? Its rectangular, with holograms around the border, and a white centre section showing the type of Win XP (Home or Pro) and the product key.

What should happen is that the PC supplier installs XP, sticks the label on, and gives you the CD. I think this is to stop dodgy dealers from installing copies - though I shouldn't think Staples would be in that bracket!

I'd ask Staples, and see what they say. You may have to contact MS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:11 pm:

Here's the MS link to replace missing software:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246&product=ofw

(copy and paste it so you get all of the link)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Romona Cox on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:36 pm:

ty for all your help.I called ms and hp and hp said that the only dish they have for my computer are the ones I have.So guess I'm at a stand still.Thank you for all your help.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page