Updates

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Updates
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Romona Cox on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:35 pm:

would like to know if I have to download updates to windows xp? It seems like everytime I do the computer goes haywire.Also why are the downloads so old?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 08:05 pm:

If you've just switched to XP, the version might be an older one - MS are issuing updates almost daily, it seems, so when suppliers buy in the CDs to install (or sell) it won't be long before they're dated!

Make sure you choose updates in the right order, and follow any instructions that are displayed - for example "install this before Update X", "restart after this install" or "install this separately".

Many updates are for security issues - "holes" that MS have found or had reported to them which can cause problems. There's no way they can test an OS with all PCs and all possible software, so there will always be stuff that causes problems with Windows. Updates are to block these holes, so you should update as often as needed - but you don't need to install updates for stuff you don't use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By romona cox on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:38 am:

When I go to up date my computer, it seems like all the up dates say the same thing.I don't know how to tell them all apart, to see if I need one and not the other.My computer seems to be running fine,so do I really need to update?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:00 pm:

Many of them are security updates - where MS have discovered "glitches" in parts of Windows that could make your PC vulnerable when you're online.

I use the update option in Help - each update has a description, so you can see if you need it. I also use Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
to see which updates are installed on my PC.

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page