Variance in Connection Speed (Kbps)

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Variance in Connection Speed (Kbps)
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gonnerman on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 01:05 am:

The problem: My connection speed varies from 4 Kbps all the way up to 48 Kbps, which I consider excellent but sadly that is the rarity rather than the rule. I generally connect in the 30's range but a great deal of the time it comes in at 4, 7 and 9 Kbps. I have a 57K Lucent Modem in this 80GB hard drive HP Pavilion, OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Are there any settings on the computer that I am not aware of that would help or is this something that I just have to tolerate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Allan Saw on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:35 am:

In my experience the problem is probably with your Internet Service Provider. Take a note of the times when you are getting the slowest connection speeds. It will probably coincide with times when you can expect a lot of people in your town/city to be on the internet. During one of these slow periods check your Service Providers web site and look for a link to their "Service Status" page. If they are extremely honest they will indicate that their system is overloaded.

It may be time to consider other alternatives. Check with friends and colleagues and see what Service Provider they use and what sort of speeds they are getting.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page