Windows XP Security and Patches

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Windows XP Security and Patches
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 04:39 pm:

Windows XP Home Edition came with my laptop. Immediately I had to download patches, and felt that patches would be the name of the game the rest of my life working with windows. I did not use the XP as a web.

Is there a good program that downloads patches automatically?

Is there I way I can go back to Windows 98 and load that on my laptop? Are there advantages with Windows XP that outweighs the constant patching? What about security issues, viruses, worms?

Is Linux a better way to go? I do not know much about Linux.

I want to build a website but may not use Windows XP. What do you advise?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:32 pm:

Win XP Home Edition has an Automatic Update feature built in. It is usually enabled upon installation.

You can check to see if it is enabled by clicking Start, right clicking My Computer, click on properties, click on the Automatic Updates tab.

You can also set your options for how you want it to run.

Automatic Updates will run in the background and will look for the updates when you are online, if your internet session is interrupted (on dialup) it will resume where it left off the next time you are online.

The critical update patches are extremely important for the security of your computer.

Win XP is a much more secure and stable operating system than Win 98X. I have never tried Linux so couldn't advise on it.

There are a multitude of web site tools available, free, online and retail. You might try some of the web site building forums for what other users have found works well for them.

Hope this was helpful to you.
Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:37 am:

Vic

Thank you for your information in response to my July question. I am just getting back to the forum and am just now using my laptop,so I will check for the automatic updates. I have a pretty good book on XP, and will look into a forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:15 pm:

It was helpful to me too, Vic. In checking my Automatic Updates setting it says "download and notify me when ready to be installed." I dont recall any such notification. Should I change it to install automatically on a set schedule instead? Also, what about the new security patch 2 that's been talked about lately? I understand that it has its own problems. Some are even suggesting waiting for a SP3 so that the bugs are worked out. What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:08 pm:

You are Welcome! If you don't already have it an excellent book on WinXp is:
WindowsXP Inside Out
Authors: Ed Bott and Carl Siechert

Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:50 pm:

I am glad it was helpful to you too!
Answer Part 1
I need to update my original answer now that Microsoft has updated the Automatic Updates Software version for XP.

If your Automatic Updates has not already downloaded and installed the new version I would recommend choosing "Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my computer" Be sure you are logged on as the administrator before making changes on the Automatic Updates Tab.

I recommend this setting so that you can check for and choose not to download or install Windows Service Pack2 if you do not want it installed on your computer.
Cont. Part 2
Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:55 pm:

Part 2
With this setting you will receive a notification of an icon and message in the notification area on the taskbar (on the bottom of the screen on the right hand side). You can click the icon to view and choose the updates available before downloading and then once the downloads you chose are ready to install you will receive another notification icon.

If your Automatic Updates software has already updated itself to the new version the Automatic Updates Tab has a new look and the choices have changed slightly. For help in choosing which setting is right for you click on the underlined link; "How does Automatic Updates work?"

Again, I would not choose Automatic (recommended) if you do not want SP2 automatically downloaded and installed on your computer unless you happen to notice the notification icon before the set installation time and choose not to install SP2.
Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:00 pm:

I am sorry I had to split up my post, it was too large and it wouldn't let me put it all in one.

About Windows Service Pack 2
I too have read conflicting reports about SP2. I always prefer to wait until the great techie minds work out the bugs!

Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:55 pm:

You've been a great help. Thanks for taking the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:00 am:

You are Welcome!!
Glad to help,
Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 01:19 pm:

Is there any advantage to ordering the SP2 CD for installation rather than Auto download/install?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 01:45 pm:

Advantage to ordering SP2 CD?

Hi,

Yes there are many advantages to ordering the SP2 CD. Sometimes downloading from online can result in corrupt files especially if it is a large file. And it is much quicker to install for those on dialup.

Plus if you should have major computer problems and end up having to reinstall the OS it will be much easier to reinstall SP2 with the CD.

Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 03:40 pm:

Vic, Thank you for your quick reply.
I ordered it but am confused about the Product Name. I ordered for English, and I have XPHome.
The "Product Name" included these words:"Professional", SP2English "NA","WebOnly","Pro"/Home.
Did I order wrong??!!

Thank you again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 03:57 pm:

oops, I forgot to ask Vic: in your post of Aug.21
10:00pm, you said you'd wait for the bugs to be worked out......., have they been?, have you installed it and if so, how is it performing?
I guess I needn't get too excited about it yet,since it will take about a month before I receive the CD and I check this forum at least once daily.
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 11:29 pm:

Did I order wrong?

Hi,

No, the product name is confusing but the most important item is choosing the correct language.

As far as I know at this point not all of the bugs have been worked out yet so I will continue to wait a bit.

To ensure a good install and minimal problems I would suggest going to:
http://support.microsoft.com

click on Windows XP Service Pack2 (SP2) link
this will take you to the Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center.

It has a wealth of information on what you need to know before installing SP2, what to do after it is installed, using programs and hardware with SP2 and links for troubleshooting issues you may have with SP2.

It is a shame that people aren't aware of this information until after they install it and start having problems.

Hope this is helpful,
Vic

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page