Tools/Internet Options Problems

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Security on Outlook Express: Tools/Internet Options Problems
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Aussiejock on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:54 am:

I am having problems with the Tools/Internet Options in WinXP, I cannot send/receive emails
and all communication programs don't work, For Example: ICQ/Yahoo/MSN Messenger. When I click on Tools/Internet Options I get the following Message: *This Operation has been Cancelled due to Restrictions in Effect on this computer. Please contact your System Administrator*.
I have contacted my Administrator but to no Avail they cannot help, they sent me a new Setup Disc.
I have been all through Microsoft Web Site and cannot find any help there either, and it is a big rigmaroll when one Emails Microsoft.
Has any good Person in this Big Wide World came across this Problem and knows how to fix it. Any Help will be Gratefully Received.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:39 pm:

Hi,

Are you logged onto your computer with the Adminstrator account? WinXP requires it in order to make system changes. It is a built in security feature to help prevent other people that use your computer from making changes.

You can check by clicking on Start, click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts, you will see a list of the accounts and it will show which account is the administrator account.

Even if you did not set one up, WinXp always creates an administrator account by default.

If you are not logged in on the username that is the administrator account, log off and sign on to that account. You will then be able to make the changes in the settings you need.

Hope this helps!
Vic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By aussiejock on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:30 am:

Hi Vic, yes I was Logged in as the Administrator
but could see nothing to change there, the problem has got me foxed.

Thanks Jock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:04 pm:

Hi Jock,

I am sorry that didn't help. Try doing a Google search using the exact error message and put it in quotes.

The first two results should be the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles pertaining to this error. And there are many forums listed where this error is asked about.

Vic

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page