Compact Outlook Express ?

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Compact Outlook Express ?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:19 pm:

This just started today, every time I close out Outlook Express I get this message on my desktop:

To free up disk space,Outlook Express can compact messages.This may take up to a few minutes.

Then my only choices are: OK or Cancel.
There's not a ? to click on for more information and I'm not finding much in Help.

Can someone tell me more about this, what happens to the messages,are they still usable,etc.????

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:54 pm:

In the above msg., I forgot to mention that I have XP SP2 and according to pie chart in C:, I've hardly used a sliver of space.

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 08:53 pm:

It will do this automatically. If I recall, you can click a box telling it not to do this again. I don't know what the purpose is, I find it too annoying to allow to actually compact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alex Taylor on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:29 am:

This happens after you have closed OE for 100 times. It will, depending on your settings, delete old NEWS messages, but this can be prevented through the Options screen under maintenance tab.

Other messages should be fine, but it is important that the procedure not be interrupted - I have heard of disk corruption. However, the procedure, especially if done ofter is pretty easy and painless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Curt Waterman on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:21 pm:

Alex is on the right track.

I started receiving the message when my closing count exceeded 100. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is to just RESET THE COUNTER back to one. I searched the Registry and found the key that keeps track of the count. Simply reset it.

Do a Start\Run and type in "regedit" (no quotes)to open the Registry.

The key is located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities{727E6338-7058-4030-9C6E-D89B358BF81CB}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0. (I know, I know. I'm running 6.0 myself.) Change the Compact Check Count Binary value back to (1). Close the Registry Editor.

The message to compact will disappear when OE is closed.

WARNING: you may want to back up the registry first if you are not familiar with it's manipulation.

Sincerely,

Curt

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page