Please help with installing XP!?

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Please help with installing XP!?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Upgrade / uninstall  1   03/18 05:07pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tabitha on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 07:50 pm:

Hi, I was hoping someone here could help with this. I have Win XP full version that I want to install, and it says it's intended for a new PC.

My PC is not new, and I don't have the disks for any of the programs currently on it. (I bought it from a friend.) I don't mind getting rid of everything on it now; in fact I'd like to.

I can't make a win 98 startup disk, because I don't have the CD. Can I reformat, and then install Win XP? Can anyone help me with what I should do?

Very much appreciated!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:50 am:

Tabitha, you won't have any problem using the full version of XP.

All you have to do is insert the cd while you are booted into windows. When the setup screen starts, hit next to what you need to, but make sure you choose "UPGRADE" instead of full install from the pulldown box.

I don't remember at what point the box appears, if it is at the beginning or after you have entered some information, but just read each box, and when it asks what type of install to do, be sure to choose upgrade.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

Hi Tabitha:

Josh said that anytime you do an upgrade, there shouldn't be any problems. Since you have the full version, I would do a clean install. That is doing a format of your hard drive first and then making certain that you partition it correctly. The most important thing is that you adhere to the instructions while installing win xp. Look over the read-me files on the CD because it will contain other information that is not in the instruction booklet. Good Luck.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:04 pm:

There is a wealth of information at the link provided below:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and has lots of info. There are a lot of how to's out there but some can be confusing like Microsoft support site which probably lists 10,000 help topics.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:16 pm:

ESPECIALLY the M$ support site!

If I can't take folks to THE page, I don't even bother. A librarian could get lost in there!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page