Transfering files.

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Transfering files.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 08:31 pm:

HI all, I just purchased a new PC..and of course, it was loaded with XP..not sure if thats a good thing or not yet..anyway, need some opinions..MY old machine was 98, need to move several files from it to my new one..including LOTS of favorites on Internet explore..and some old mail and addys from Outlook express. even need to move the Newbie web site builder material...any ideas?? My old machine had no burner, or backup..so thats not an option.

Thanks..

Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Al on Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 12:44 pm:

Hi Glenn.
I have recently gone from Win 98 to XP and have a
simular prob. I understand that you can connect a
cable from your com ports on both machines and
transfer files serially between machines from
source to destination. I have not done this yet
but you might check this out. If this works for me
I will post the procedure here step by step.
Hope this helps.
Al at alp1@ewol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

Al - that is possible, but you will need to purchase a "Null terminated serial cable", and the PC Anywhere software.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 09:04 pm:

I also have a Windows XP - home edition - and I want to be able to transfer My Documents (MS Word) from a Windows 98 computer into my new XP MS Word. My floppy disk back-ups from Windows 98 will not restore into XP. I followed XP's "Help" instructions for installing Settings from Windows 98 into XP. This has not helped to restore my files.

Please help! Laura

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:18 pm:

Re: Al and Josh,Sept.,2002......I just recently set up a new puter running XP Home Edition, my old one still sits here untapped.I have way too much junk in it & don't want to transfer everything. A friend suggested a "Crossover cable" so I can run both puters at once to pick & choose what I want to transfer. I'm wondering if that's what you're referring to in your posts,and Al,I don't see where you posted back,didn't it work?
Thank you, Cher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:28 pm:

Here's some plain-English info on home networking, from PC911:
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/hmnetwk1.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ron on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:38 pm:

I bought a puter with XP. My old one had 98 SE on it. I bought the transfer cable and hooked it up. The new puter with XP has a transfer wizard in the assessories but to transfer anything you are supposed to bring up a transfer wizard on Windows 98. I can't find it. Can anyone Help?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page