Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to upgrade to XP

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to upgrade to XP
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By neuguy on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 06:16 am:

I have a Dell 8100 P4 with ME for my OS, How many problems will I find in upgrading to XP Home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mack A. Smith on Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 12:38 am:

A lot if you don't check and make sure it is compatable with XP, including software. I know from experence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dri-Anna on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:15 am:

PC Pitstop has a piece of software that you activate at its' site that will test your computer to see if it is WimXP compatible. If there are negative test results for a specific test within this test, it provides information for possible fixes. You can access PC Pitstop via PC World.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ellen Pringle on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:37 am:

I upgrade my gateway Pent 2 to XP with no problems
but did a complete search prior and made sure printer and scanner would work, as well virus prog
ram and AOL add to be upgraded, oh Memory is a must. Least you can do for your computer.
PC Pitstop was excellent, very informative, used it my self.
XP went on with out any problems, installed XP
drivers, scanner & printer as well. Had to get driver Olympus Reader for digital camera. Have been on xp for 1 1/2 yr and love it.
XP prof is the way to go, but home edition is ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By binkythebinkster on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

I also have a Dell Dimension 8100 that came with ME preinstalled, which I upgraded to WinXP home ed. When I installed the upgrade from the CD the result was a system that behaved like it couldn't decide whether to use ME or XP. Dell Tech Support (T/S) tells me this occurs because the upgrade CD installs XP on top of ME by default. To eliminate or reduce all the problems this created, I made the following changes with the help of Dell T/S over the phone. First we completely stripped the hard drive bare, until it was free & clean of all formatting. This way we could start out with a H/D as pristine as a new one right out of the box.
Using the same CD, we proceeded to make a CLEAN installation of WinXP/HmEd over the next 1.5-2 hr., the extra time was a result of preceeding cautiously and my questioning every step along the way. Pt.1 (Continued in pt.2)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By binkythebinkster on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

(cont. from pt.1)
A PRECAUTIONARY NOTE: I've been told and have read that not all upgrade programs contain the full STAND ALONE version; they are partial, add-on programs to add changes to an existing version of a program. The final end result from my experience has been the most stable, reliable, and forgiving of user errors, type of O/S I could ever hope for. With ME I had to reformat the H/D every couple of months, in addition to all the other problems. After using WinXP over 1-1/2 yrs. with just routine maintenance, e.g., frequent defragmentation, disk maintenance with CheckDisk (CHKDSK), I haven't had to reformat at all. Aside from occasional bumps in the road and user generated problems, this O/S has turned out to be exceptional from my experience. And relative to ME, it's such a vast improvement, especially for a beginner like me, that I believe it should be the default O/S for computers bought or used by beginners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:16 pm:

Hi neuguy:

You said that win ME is already installed? How much memory do you have and what is the clock speed? This is an important factor because win XP does not run well without enough memory and CPU speed. If you are using a Pentium II or lower, I would stick to win 98. It is best to have at least 256Mb but I recommend 512Mb so it won't hog your memory resources. Otherwise freezeups can occur and also slow computer performance. I have experienced this. Win ME is not a reliable OS so I would do a clean install using win 98SE and then do the upgrade using win xp. Make certain that you look over the read-me files on the CD for latest changes. I am just trying to tell you from my experience and you have to decide if you want to proceed with the install.

zzmel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Deb Slatterie on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 10:25 pm:

Further to zzmel's post, it is possible to run XP with less RAM (I have 160 and it does work) but that's because I could not find 98SE anywhere, so the next step - from ME, which constantly had registry problems - was XP, and it has worked fine, even on an old 300 CPU computer. If you can stick to 98, that might be better, and you can keep your software too. I have to sell a whole stack of software CDs that won't work with XP, but hey, no more registry problems!! I do most of my work online anyway ;) Just another side of the issue for you to consider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:45 am:

I have a PC with Win98, 512 RAM. My system is running slow and I am going to need to reinstall WIN98 in order to make it run more efficiently. I have tried every other avenue, eg., start-up elimination, registry first aid, scandisk, defrag, deleting temp folders, etc.

Instead of reinstalling WIN98, I would like to install WINXP Home Edition. I have backups of my files on CD-RW and have my software. My biggest question is:

The installation of my DSL software was difficult and I had to call a technician to my home to tweak it so it would run correctly.

I am hoping to be able to avoid reinstallation of the DSL program/settings hence avoiding the cost of the technician.

Is there a way I can remove all of the files/programs from my system, leave just that program, then install WINXP, then go back and reinstall my software/files?

Also, what is the name of the site you can visit that tells about software conflicts with WINXP?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page