XP Shutdown

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: XP Shutdown
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joe on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:44 am:

Every time I Shutdown my computer, running XP, I have to click on Start, Turn Off Computer,then Turn Off TWICE. That is, I have to repeat the process for it to actually shutdown. Can anyone help resolve this?
Thanks - Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By steve on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:09 pm:

Hi Joe,

I found this task tedious so I found a way to shutdown with one click. However I can't make it work, but you may have more luck....good luck.

1. You need to create a shortcut by right clicking on a blank area of of the desktop.

2. On the pop up menu click new and shortcut.
In the box type shutdown-s-t-01 then click next.

3. Give it a name -shutdown- and it should appear on the desktop.

4. Clicking the shortcut should (but not on mine) shut the PC down instantly.

Note: No warnings will be displayed as regards saving so it's best to save before shutdown.

Jo,I hope this works for you.

Regards

Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jennifer on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

I found this article ... the procedure is a little different so it might just work.

In Windows XP, restoring the shortcut is amazingly easy.

Right-click on the Desktop and choose New | Shortcut from the popup menu.

Browse to the file C:\Windows\ System32\Shutdown.exe, click Next, name the shortcut, and click Finish.

Now right-click on the new shortcut and choose Properties.

In the Target box, append the command line switch -l (to log off), -s (to shut down), or -r (to reboot).

Hope this helps someone.

Jenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ROMONA COX on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

WELL I DID LIKE JENN SAID AND GOT AS FAR AS "APPEND THE COMMAND LINE SWITCh -l (to log off)ext." BUT MY XP SAID IT WASN'T VAILD.CAN YOU SHOW ME HOW IT'S TO BE WROTE IN SIDE THE TARGET BOX.MAYBE I WROTE IT WRONG,THANKS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sidd25 on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 09:08 pm:

When I shutdown on Win XP home, it reboots. The only way to powerdown is by holding the power switch.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 02:12 pm:

Here are some places to look:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1008024420
(Windows annoyances)
http://support.microsoft.com - check the knowledge base for XP, or try the users forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:38 pm:

to avoid restarting, uninstall Roxio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ime spartacus on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:54 pm:

I did like JENN said as well and I got the same as ROMONA COX we must be entering it wrong I just added it to what was already in the target box as in my dictionary append is to hang or attache to.How do we do it JENN?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ime spartacus on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:22 pm:

Sorry it dont work on my other pc cant seem to locate system 32 going that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ime spartacus on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:28 pm:

Hi I tried Steves method as well spaces need to be put between - s - t - 01 and I get the sutdown box but when I click on the dos window comes up quickly and alas briefly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ime spartacus on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:33 pm:

One of my posts is not there what it was I said that JENNS post had to be followed exactly and added to what was in the box thats with brackets commas fullstops evrything the shutdown box appears on desktop but on clicking on I briefly got the dos window and that was it.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page