Buy windows XP? Home or Professional version?

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: Buy windows XP? Home or Professional version?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Terry on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

I'm ready to buy a new computer, but I can't find much information about Windows XP, which comes with most systems. I have a network marketing business and want something that will simplify my life. Currently I'm using Windows 98. Do you recommend Windows XP? Is the Home version adequate, or do you recommend the Professional version? (remember, I'm at the Newbie Club because I still have a lot to learn - so I prefer the simplest and fastest way to get things done.) Can you recommend somewhere to go for more information about these products? Thanks for your help. Email me if you wish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 09:21 pm:

There are two differences between XP home and XP pro.
1.Pro can burn CD's without any additional software, while home version cannot. (However, all cd-writers come with software, so this really doesn't matter.)
2.Pro can join a network "domain", while home can only join "workgroups". This IS a significant difference, but only if you would be using your computer in a business network. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

So, if point #2 doesn't affect you, DON'T waste the additional $100.

XP is a much nicer interface, and several things have been simplified with it. However, if you are only upgrading to simplify things, it's probably not a good idea. It doesn't work miracles in helping new computer users work a machine, but it does make tasks somewhat easier, and does everything with a prettier look.

Also, a thing to think about is performace. XP is significantly more resource-intensive. You will be dissatisfied with a speed drop if your computer is more than a couple years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreamangel121858 on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:04 pm:

I INSTALLED SPYBOT A FEW WEEKS AGO AND HAVE SINCE DELETED IT. ANYWAY I HAVE DELETED SOME THINGS THAT I NEED AND I AM NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE, IS THERE ANYWAY YOU CAN HELP ME SO I WILL KNOW WHAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE ON HERE I AM USING A WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION AND I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING TO DOWNLOAD TO RESTORE THESE THINGS AND I HAVE ALSO TRIED SYSTEM RESTORE AND IT WANT LET ME RESTORE . HELP PLEASE, WHAT DO I DO. I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERS AND I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE ON HERE AND WHAT I CAN DO WITHOUT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 06:30 am:

What kinds of problems are you having?

Are you getting any error messages, and if so, what are they?

Do you have your XP Home installation disk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolores Henderson on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:49 pm:

I need to know if I can install WinXP Home over or in addition to the WinXP Pro that evidently was a copy. A family member installed it a couple years ago. But I can't get all the updates such as SP2 because of this. My husband has a notebook that came with the xp home & I would like to install it. What do I need to do? I don't want to lose a bunch of stuff. Not sure how to back up files. Please help>>>
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:20 pm:

If you go to http://support.mocrosoft.com you can find info on upgrading or installing Windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By katrina Adams on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:49 am:

I have recived a worm called worm/Fatso.A if anyone can help !!!!!! thankyou i would like to know how to remove it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

Your anti-virus program should deal with this - make sure your signature files are up to date. If it hasn't cleared it, check their website to see if there are any special instructions.

If you don't have an anti-virus program, you can get a free one at http://www.grisoft.com - this will detect the Fatso worm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ime Spartacus on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 05:44 pm:

Hi dolores you cant install xp home over xp pro do you know if you have another os under xp pro if so you can uninstall xp pro and install xp home over the other os.You cant get sp 2 using a copy.You dont say how big the files are you could back them up to cd or you could purchase a memory device connected by usb cable(cant remember the name at the moment)then you can drag the files to the device and reinstall them in xp home.A clean install would be best though.I think you can install xp pro over xp home though.Hope this helps.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page