XP Networking

TNC Discussion Board: Windows XP help: XP Networking
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Unable to get PPPOE to function using XP Pro.  1   12/06 02:28am
XP Pro network seeing DSL but not other computers  1   01/19 06:42pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elton on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 07:37 pm:

I have a home network consisting of 3 computers using internet connection sharing and a switch. I have 2 network cards in my main computer 1 going to the cable modem and the other going to the switch. I have XP pro loaded on all three computers. Anyway my questions is that I have the 3 networked and all connect to the internet but i my problem lies when i try to see the computers next to me thry network neighborhood. I can manually map to my other computers but if i try to see the files via network neighborhood i get some access denied error. Can anyone tell me how to fix that

Thanks inadvance

EG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:35 pm:

The Windows XP machines are setup with much more security than was available in Win98. You have to give permission to allow a networked computer to see files.

For example, if you want to share the contents of your "my documents" folder, you would right click on it, choose properties. Then, Click the sharing tab. Select to share it, and give it a share name.

Now, you will be able to gain access to it through network neighborhood. If it asks for a username and password, enter the user/pass for the computer that you are trying to see the files on. (If you want to change that, back on the sharing/permissions tab, add your computer username and password to permissions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Nate on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 02:24 am:

I am trying to get DSL up and running, the problem is I need to configure PPPOE. when I try to create a new network connection, i get to the screen where iam to check the following option: Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password. This option is grayed out ,and I can't get any further, can any one tell me how to get this option where I can turn it on???
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nate

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page